Installing Windows XP on Mac Air using Bootcamp Issue

Reaction score
I have tried everything out there in the last 2 days and still cant get the XP on my MAC Air. I am running 10.6.1 with BootCamp 3.0

After following all the steps to partition the drive using BootCamp... when i hit install Windows... the system reboots and shows me a screen with flashing question mark. I called MAC support and they walked me thru all the steps again and it still kept doing it. We wiped the whole OS and did a clean installation of OS X and the problem still persists.

Please let me know if any1 is seeing the same problem and has got it work.

Thanks,
Pratik

Reaction score
Maybe this is a weird question but, did you insert the Windows DVD?

Is your USB plugged in securely and tight?

If so, after new install of OSX I suspect it's a hardware problem.
What DVD Drive do you have?

OP
P
Reaction score
I have a Sony External DVD drive. I used the same 1 to do a clean install of OS X, so the DVD drive should be ok.. i believe. Also, I have tried 3 different windows CD to eliminate the problem if any with my old XP disc. I tired the 3 Windows:

- My old XP DVD with SP2
- A new OEM XP DVD with SP2
- Win 7 RC DVD (although this is not supported by Apple yet, but seems to work for every1 on the forums)

Reaction score
According to my information (googled...:)) the only way to successfully install Windows in Bootcamp is with the official MBA superdrive.

Some people have tried it from a disk image, but since the MBA needs to restart for installation the disk image is deactivated again, and is non existant on the bootcamp partition, so no go there... sorry m8.

Looks like you're stuck with VM Ware or Parallels, or buy the original MBA Superdrive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Took it to the genius bar and they loaned me the super drive and it worked... maybe they should put this information somewhere

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Took it to the genius bar and they loaned me the super drive and it worked... maybe they should put this information somewhere

That's very big of them.
I'm glad that worked out well for you.

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.