can I wait?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
Is it prudent to purchase Tiger now? I just bought my PB last fall, and I know that new software is important, do I need to get Tiger now? How long before Panther isn't supported, on average? I know that eventually I will need to get Tiger anyway. I can get a student discount now, but I graduate in May. :headphone

U

untoastytoast

It all depends on if you want the new features or not. I would assume that apple will support panther for a fair while after april 29th, but personally i think it would be best to just get tiger now. Or at least get it before may so you can use your student discount still.

M

mangoSharingan

Well, there are many free applications out there which can substitute for some of Tiger's features, like QuickSilver for example, although you do have to pay for Konfabulator if you want to get rid of the registration notice and unlock everything.

K

Kokopelli

I would purchase it now, even if you do not intend to install it right way. Getting it under the educational discount is significantly cheaper. If you do not want to spend the money however, you should be fine on Panther for at least the next year, probably for two or three.

Expect to start to see apps that are Tiger only though. All the fancy shmancy UI stuff aside, Core Data is really useful and I suspect you are going to see quite a few apps that rely on it fairly soon. It cuts down in the persistance and data layers quite a bit and thus lowers the complexity of the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
csuazo said:
Is it prudent to purchase Tiger now? I just bought my PB last fall, and I know that new software is important, do I need to get Tiger now? How long before Panther isn't supported, on average? I know that eventually I will need to get Tiger anyway. I can get a student discount now, but I graduate in May. :headphone

Security updates for Jaguar have still been coming out, so I doubt that Panther support will be dropped anytime soon. If you don't need to be on the cutting edge, there's no need to buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I'd wait for a little while so all the bugs (if there are any) will get fixed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.