Where in the world: ADC extension?

Reaction score
I can't believe I am having so much trouble finding an extension cable!!! I have a 20" cinema display (2004) with permanently attached ADC cable and a G5 (2004) with an ADC input. It works great but I must move the CPU further from the monitor and the cord will not reach. I have found 2 cables; one from Dr. Bott and one from Griffin that would do the job but they are all discontinued! I've searched the web, my local reseller, and nobody has it. They must have made thousands of these things but the only place they seem to have them is Australia. I can't even find one on Ebay. Am I doomed to a life where my monitor must always be 4 feet from the CPU? What else can I do? Could I use ADC to DVI cables and adapters to somehow jury rig it? Apple- how can you invent and then abandon a connection system and leave thousands of people flapping in the breeze??? Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would guess that bites. Anyone's proprietary stuff always does.

After giving harry's links a shot, next option is going to be to try an ADC to DVI adapter at both ends of a DVI-D cable. Have not done this, but can't see why it wouldn't work. Amazon has the adapters for $24.

OP
D
Reaction score
no easy solution

the Dr. Bott 15" will not work with my 20" display. I am going to check with Australia to see if they could ship.

Not sure if 2- DVI/ADC adapters would work because the Amazon adapter is male ADC to female DVI but on the other end I need female ADC to female DVI. I think what might work is the amazon male ADC to female DVI at the CPU end and the Apple Brand DVI to ADC Display Adapter on the end of the existing monitor cable with a DVI cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Look at the lead on the card. I believe the ADC is ADC regardless if connected to a 15", 17" or 20" display.

OP
D
Reaction score
It had this in the description- I don't know why

"This ADC Extension only works with the 15 inch Apple Studio Display. It is not compatible with any larger ADC display."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.