Keep existing Leopard or Upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Ok folks, I got some questions for ya that needs answering. Okay for starters, I have a IMAC desktop computer with Mac OS X 10.5.8. I am having video recording/screen capturing difficulties. I have Itunes, Iphoto, IDVD, and Quicktime basic. Okay, so I wanted to make some tutorials for my relative who doesn't know how to use social networking internet sites, so I wanted to make my own tutorials. I couldn't find video capture software except JING. I used jing and the video turned out perfect. Only one problem, it only records in swf format. So I tried to find a video converter. I've tried most of the popular ones, and I can't get them to work. So, I used my digital camera to "Re-record" my video tutorial. Then I had to edit the tutorials and add some clips to the beginning and the end. Once I had done that (which took seem like forever) then I had to export my movies to my desktop or a file folder so that I could burn them onto a dvd using IDVD. Anyways, I started at 6 AM this morning, and I am just now exporting from IMOVIe on tutorial #2 and it's now 9:42 AM my time. Is there a quicker way to do this? Is there an easier way to do this? Someone told me to upgrade to snow leopard and get the new Quicktime which will screen capture video and then export as movie files to share in a video/tv/dvd format. I want to be able to make my dvd tutorials so that my relative can watch the dvd and learn on her pc at the same time. I don't want to send the tutorials on the internet because she only has one computer. She is not computer literate if you know what I mean. So I need HELP!!! This is so time consuming, that I am about to go crazy! I would appreciate all feedback stat!:Oops: :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yes. Do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, it does screen capture. You can do "New Movie Recording," "New Audio Recording," and "New Screen Recording."

Desktop as photo would be command shift 3 in all versions of OS X that I can remember dating back to 10.2

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay, so that's the answer...I will have to wait though, because I have to save some money to guy it. Thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
I am so aggrevated!!!!

:Shouting: Ok, I got snow leopard and upgraded and used quicktime to make a video screen capture movie. Problem is i want to burn my tutorials that I made to a disk on IDVD. Ok, the problem: The file is too large.....now what? I have to buy this to do this, then buy that to do another thing, and so on, it's a big huge money racket just to do one task! HELP ME SOMEBODY WITHOUT GIVING ME THE DARN RUNAROUND!!!!!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
:Shouting: Ok, I got snow leopard and upgraded and used quicktime to make a video screen capture movie. Problem is i want to burn my tutorials that I made to a disk on IDVD. Ok, the problem: The file is too large.....now what? I have to buy this to do this, then buy that to do another thing, and so on, it's a big huge money racket just to do one task! HELP ME SOMEBODY WITHOUT GIVING ME THE DARN RUNAROUND!!!!!!!!

With that kind of attitude, I would find it shocking if someone actually took the time to help you with your issue. Get a grip.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, sorry for the wrong attitude, but everytime I try to find the answers to what I need, I always get the run around and feel like I am going in circles until I go crazy, then the craziness turns into bitterness & aggrevation....I think maybe I can discover this on my own....I will try to put the file into Itunes and see if I can use it that way to put onto dvd. When I get aggrevated, I keep working until I find the answer even if it takes trial and error on my part, I am not a quitter. :))))

OP
A
Reaction score
okay that didnt work either....i can't figure out how to get my movie i made on my computer screen burned onto a dvd using Idvd. The file I made was transfered to Itunes. How do I get it back from Itunes onto a dvd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have very much experience in iMovie and iDVD but there's got to be a way to compress the file down to the right size.

I would imagine you still have the original movie files in your movies folder. I think you can use imovie to compress the files.

OP
A
Reaction score
okay, well, another question, how come I can't use the file as is? The files says 64.0 mb, and the dvd-r disk holds 4.7 gb? When I go to burn, it quits burning in the middle of the burn in IDVD. Doesn't IDVD burn .mov files? If not, why? What I am I doing wrong? All I want to do is burn what I made to dvd so that it can play on home television. I don't know. Please help me. Thank you to all inputs on this.

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay folks, I finally figured it out. Number one don't use Memorex brand dvd's. They don't work, at least not for me. Another thing, I erased my whole harddrive and started over and installed snow leopard. I also used quicktime X to record the video screen capture. I imported the movies into IMOVIe, then I used the media share option to export it in "Large" format to use with IDVD. Next I opened IDVD, used a simple theme, gave it a name and title, selected my movie media that I imported from IMOVIE. Next, I had to deselect encode in background option from menu at top of the IDVD menu bar. Finally I previewed, created, and saved the dvd movie. Then I burned it. Remember size matters when burning. 1,024 MB equals 1 GB
I had to burn in two disks, but oh well, at least I did it!!!! (took me two weeks to figure it out on my own) You don't need a lot of fancy smancy software to do some things. You just got to figure it out by trial and error and see what works best for you. I thin I will contact the manufacturer of the dvd-r's and too bad that I don't still have the receipts. I purchased them back before august when school supplies were on sale. Anyways, IDVD uses ".mov" formats or IMOVIE formats if exported in the right size. Size matters, and don't forget that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.