Finder and windows share

fov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.8 15" & Sony Vaio running Ubuntu 9.04
Hi, Im very much a mac noob. So much so I dont even have one!

We have an issue here with the mac used by our designer. Our infrastructure is based on virtual windows boxes and our file server is just that serving a share from the SAN cluster.

The issue is the mac goes deadly slow when using any files on the file server. We struck up on a possible workaround today by stopping finder and manually navigating to the file before restarting it.

My question is, is there any way to stop finder looking at the windows share? Even better can it be put in some startup script?

As a plus, anyone any ideas what to look for or do to solve the full issue?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Well, one way of disabling your mac from reading from your windows share would be to restrict permissions for that specific device / user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Are your windows shares on a domain or workgroup? How is the share permissions and NTFS permissions set? How does the Mac authenticate on your network?

OP
F

fov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hang on, I maybe meant spotlight not finder. We stopped spotlight and used finder to manually navigate the share I think.
Sorry im not a mac user at all so may have some names wrong.

The issue isnt about restricting the user from the share, quite the opposit. Its the data the user needs is on the share but it is so slow to use when spotlight (i think) is reading it.

We are one a domain, the users have AD accounts. The file server is 2k3 on a Xen server VM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
is this the first time the the user is connecting to the server? The first time a new volume appears to Mac it indexes the volume. This initial index can be quite time consuming depending on the amount of data to index and the connection type. I would let it do its thing. After that the user shouldnt have much trouble. If it persists you might try to put the volume on the exclusion list in the Spotlight Preference Pane under Privacy.

OP
F

fov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has been used for a while, couple of weeks. The share is very large though. Around 400 GB of data on a 2TB share. It does get switched off at night. Would that have been long enough to index it?

Ill give the exclusion list a shot cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Yeah 400 GB could take awhile especially since its being done over a network. I'd try and leave it over a weekend. That should be plenty of time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.