my story

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro 13
hi everyone, new to macs. still getting some used to it but loving it.
specially since i got the speck hard-shell case and the moshi keyboard protector.
the story i have is this:
my friend has a pc and a portable western digital hard-drive, i got a mac and i wanted a couple of pictures he was in the portable hard-drive.
so we plug-it into my computer and ......nothing, my mac cant read them. so i eject the drive and we plug it back into his pc and what happens next is that it make the sound of as if you just plug something in but you cant see the drive in the control panel.
then we went to our neighbor and plug it into his pc and same results, the sound of plug-in something into a pc comes but cant see it.
i really hope i didn't fudged something by just plugin into my mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Probably not. Under the skin, Macs use the same commodity x86 hardware as their PC brethren. The real difference is in the Operating System.

Any number of things could have happened - it might have been unplugged prematurely from the PC and damaged the filesystem (on the Windows machine, you can see if the physical drive shows up under Disk Management, which is opened by right-clicking My Computer => Manage => Disk Management in the left window pane), or it could have been subjected to electrostatic discharge (ESD) which could have damaged the USB bus or the circuit board in the drive itself.

It's really hard to say without taking a closer look at it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.