iMac G5 Screen Dims Randomly?

G

GTwinkie

Hey guys...

I've noticed this for a while now, but up until today I had thought it was just my imagination.

At random times, the screen on my iMac G5 dims all of the sudden, like it does when you're idle for a few minutes (before going into the screensaver). But when this "random dimming" occurs, I move the mouse and continue to work and doesn't brighten up again. At some point after that it goes back to normal.

Does the iMac have a sensor somewhere that detects ambient light? Maybe it dims it under different ambient light conditions?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Hope nothing is wrong with it.

Thanks as always guys!

OP
J

Jefe3223

Like with my mac, if you leave it alone for a few min, it will dim the screen; leave it a lone for longer and the screen will be completely dark; long enough and you'll see it fall asleep (but that's just my mac).
I don't know if it should do it "randomly."...That's a new one on me. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't do that.
As for yours, it should, as an energy saving thing, dim if not in use; however, it should brighten back up once you move the mouse (might take a second or two), but yeah. To eliminate this or just change settings to more fit your style, hit up System Preferences>Energy Saver. From there you can change what you need. I think that's all. If you have any more questions (or if you think it's not working the way it should) let us know and we'll try our best to help out some more.
Right, but if the screen dims randomly (ie. while in use and not just sitting), if you have a laptop, check the power supply. It might be set up to be on an energy saver when on battery power, and if the cord is loose, then there's your reason. If it's a desktop, let me know after you mess with the energy saver preferences.

Reaction score
The iMacs I have used at school will have the screens dimmed when they are just sitting there, as soon as you move the mouse they get brighter.

OP
G

GTwinkie

Hey guys... thanks for the replies.

Definitely understand the dimming > screen saver >sleep process, but indeed it does it randomly... and if I move/click the mouse, it does not brighten up. I always think I'm seeing things. But I definitely witnessed it yesterday, as did my friend, as we were working on something.

I double checked the energy saver setttings and there isn't a setting for the intermediary dimming -- just putting the display to sleep, putting the computer to sleep, and the hard drives to sleep.

Hmmmm...

OP
J

Jefe3223

Hm...Well, I thought that might be what you were talking about, but i was hoping it wasn't. The setting for display asleep is the one that does the dimming (dims in half the time and asleep in the full). What kind of computer do you have (not necesarily key, but it will give me abetter understanding of what might be going on)?

OP
G

GTwinkie

I have an iMac 1.8 GHz G5 20" w/ 1GB of RAM running OS X 10.3.8 w/ all updates.

HELP! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
J

Jefe3223

Gah, sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy. Yeah, those are some dang good tips, that DB said. If you had a loptop, I'd tell you to watch the power supply, but then of course, that does not hold the same weight with an iMac...Um, sometimes I've heard of problems with a broken cable that will act like that, when it's in a wierd position. I doubt that it is that though (I don't think you've done any major screen bending as of late). I'd say, if those links above don't do it, call apple. (I've also heard of another dimming problem with the g5, but not like yours), and hopefully they will advise you (if you do end up calling them and they fix it, let us know what they did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.