When i get Tiger

K

killer_bites

Hey guys, been real busy with my degree but the mac is doing me proud.

Hearing great rumours that tiger could be announced soon and that is one of the reasons i got my mac!!

The question is when it's out and in my room in its black box do i:

Clean install (dunno how yet)
or
Update

Does it mess up like Windows with an update or is it fine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I will usually do an erase and install if I can, simply for the fact that things are often so different between new os's, like features and what not, it can sometimes, not often, but its happened, cause problems down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Macman said:
I will usually do an erase and install if I can, simply for the fact that things are often so different between new os's, like features and what not, it can sometimes, not often, but its happened, cause problems down the road.

what such problems would these be? an archive and install works just like a regular install. only instead of using the default-new-user file hierarchy on the install disks, it uses folders and files it pulls from the archive folder made on your harddrive.

nearly all system related files are freshly installed, though there are a few pref files found in the System and Library folder under the harddrive (/) directory. But having created the previous and latest OS, apple can determine which files need updating (usually small things like added new-line char, filename, etc.).

the only wacky thing that might happen are some application preferences might seem different (like window size), but is due to the change to the new system files. then your comp will seem the same again if you match the new sys prefs to match your previous ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, but between previously released os's, like from jaguar to panther, the installation options don't usually include archive installation at the first installation, it has an upgrade installation, which is what causes the problems, or has for a good number of people including myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have never encountered any problems using the upgrade option. I have upgraded every version of OS X since 10.0 and I have never had any issues.

I am running 10.3.8 just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Os 10.4

I think I would also do a clean install. It keeps the computer free from junk files. Just be sure to back up any data first if you have any. :p

OP
K

killer_bites

cool, not sure how to do a clean install yet (rolleyes) but im sure im sure it is easy.

Cheers Peeps!!

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.