Linux Boot problems

Reaction score
Since buying my macbook i never been able to boot a linux cd, i have since discovered that it will neither boot a bootable linux usb stick nor boot from a partition with the contents of a bootable cd copied to it I have tried the usual (ALT key C key rEFFIT) but am still unable to boot linux on this mac?

any ideas what could be wrong with the mac?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Have you tried using a disc? Such as mounting your .iso to a disc and loading it that way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe this link will help you out. It gives instructions on how to install Ubuntu on your Mac. If you're trying to boot a Linux CD directly on a Mac, you'll need a version specifically for the Mac as normal Linux live CDs will not directly boot an EFI system.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks chscag for the link but still nothing works, all i get as usual is a black screen as though the computer has crashed while booting and that seems to happen with every Linux OS i try?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried to first install rEFIt and then install a copy of Linux?

Lots of folks here and in the Ubuntu forum have successfully installed the latest versions of Ubuntu and it works fine. A couple of guys have even gotten it to work using Boot Camp.

There must be something that you're not doing correctly. Remember, you can not directly boot a Linux live CD or USB key without modification because Macs use EFI and PCs use the BIOS to control the boot process. Trying to boot from an ordinary Ubuntu Live CD on my MacBook for example, will give the same result as you experienced.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
I installed rEFIT booted from ubuntu cd, i got choose my language then the live cd option then a message saying something like "not responding" and the laptop seems to freeze with just a plain black screen (i get that all the time with linux).

I tried Suse live CD, i got as far as loading linux kernel screen and then as above only this time with a green screen, a couple of days ago Mandriva got as far as choosing my partition to install on then it froze and has not got that far since.

i have tried both 32 and 64 bit installs only to get the same result every time?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.