• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Macbook design?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wondering what everyone thinks of the rumor, Myself I would love to see the macbooks redesigned I am using a netbook until either the tablet or macbook show up.

What do you think the changes will be?

Please provide a link to this specific rumor for us to discuss.

If this "rumor" is something theorized amongst buddies or friends...then it can just be "thrown" onto the "heap" of rumors that are always floating around.

Thanks,

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Your guess is as good as ours. Aside from being thinner, I don't know if they can improve on the MBs design.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I am hoping for it to stay white I like that much better then the aluminum shell.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your guess is as good as ours. Aside from being thinner, I don't know if they can improve on the MBs design.

Good answer!:) The "foot print" of a laptop is pretty much determined by the size of the display...so then thickness would be the other area to improve on...and thus less weight as well.

Badapple: Of course there are new features to consider...like the long awaited (for some folks) Blue-ray optical drive.

But rumors are rumors...that & $.50 cents will get you a bad cup of coffee!;)

- Nick

I am hoping for it to stay white I like that much better then the aluminum shell.

Well as you probably know...Apple is currently only selling one white laptop (the 13" MacBook, probably to keep cost down)...with the rest of the lineup Aluminum...this would seem to be the direction that Apple is going at least for the near future...for most of the laptop lineup.

Thanks for the links. Link #1 just focuses on "affordability"...so just different pricing...nothing too exciting here regarding new features.

Link #2 mentions thinner polycarbonate cases...that could be mildly interesting.:)

- Nick

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I am using a netbook and hoping for the best, love to have a new macbook or tablet soon.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using a netbook and hoping for the best, love to have a new macbook or tablet soon.

I know that I can purchase a netbook for about $150 bucks on Craig's List. If this is the sort of budget you currently have towards an Apple laptop...then start saving!;)

The least expensive Mac Mini is $599...so any Mac laptop is going to be at least $100-$200 higher. But if the Mac Mini price comes down, than laptop prices could come down as well!:)

Again...speculation & rumors really aren't even worth discussing...because at this point we're talking "fiction" not facts!;)

- Nick

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I know that I can purchase a netbook for about $150 bucks on Craig's List. If this is the sort of budget you currently have towards an Apple laptop...then start saving!;)

The least expensive Mac Mini is $599...so any Mac laptop is going to be at least $100-$200 higher. But if the Mac Mini price comes down, than laptop prices could come down as well!:)

Again...speculation & rumors really aren't even worth discussing...because at this point we're talking "fiction" not facts!;)

- Nick

I had a new MBP but for me it was overkill I was able to sell it and save the cash so have 1700 for the next MB or tablet or both :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a new MBP but for me it was overkill I was able to sell it and save the cash so have 1700 for the next MB or tablet or both :)

Hey...that sounds great! Good luck holding out for something that better suits your needs!;) $1700 is a nice chunk of cash to have once you find something you like!

But don't rely on rumors to dictate what your next Mac portable purchase will be...because you may be waiting for a while.

Also remember...that if Apple does come out with something "new" it will most likely be initially expensive (and possibly not worth paying a premium for)...or it may be such an innovative device that it will either be a BIG hit like iPods...or may be a dud like Apple TV...or the Newton!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
If Apple really want to impress, they need to space the USB inputs further apart. If I plug a USB Mobile Broadband stick in, its so big, I physically cannot stick another USB in. I had to buy an adaptor....

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If Apple really want to impress, they need to space the USB inputs further apart. If I plug a USB Mobile Broadband stick in, its so big, I physically cannot stick another USB in. I had to buy an adaptor....

For that to happen I think they would need to modify the logic board as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
I think a great design feature would be to put a magsafe outlet on each side of the notebook.

Reaction score
I think a great design feature would be to put a magsafe outlet on each side of the notebook.

That would be a good idea, an Apple first, and probably an Apple last. I personally think it should be on the back, centered! Kind of like some of HP and Dell's old laptop models.

And if anything, a tablet would likely be the better market decision than a netbook. But if anyone has watched Apple the last 5 years, anything can happen. ;D

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Apple listed the new books on the website...

Reaction score
Whose website? I just checked Apple's, nothing has changed, as far as I can see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Not too much information but it looks good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.