Printer Sharing from PC to Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Mac OS X Version 10.5.7
Hey.

Having trouble sharing my printer, which is hooked to my PC, with my macbook laptop. I went onto about.com and followed this step by step instruction, and I did everything it said.

When I get to sharing my printer, I share my printer on my pc and made sure that both macbook and pc have the same network name. However, when I go to add a printer on my macbook, click on workgroup to see what networks are available, my pc name and printer do not show up.

Help anyone? The article I followed is below:

Printer Sharing - Windows XP Printer Sharing With Mac OS X 10.5

Reaction score
this seems to be a re-occurring question, so it might be hard to get a response to your post. try using the search for network printer or something along those lines. a LOT of threads will come up. might also want to check the apple site - support. i believe it's covered there as well. if memory serves me correctly, it's a step by step doc

p.s. i'm still fiddling with WORKGROUP...many set their network printer up without using workgroup feature.

good luck

Reaction score
I have 2 possible solutions for you.....

My printer/scanner/copier was usb'd to my desktop XP PC, and then have XP laptop and now a new Macbook Pro ... and a time capsule.

Could and did setup the time capsule as the print server - connect printer to time capsule and install Bonjour to the windows pc's and very quickly and easily had a working networked printer (without need for any desktop PC to be running to use the printer). However, scanners don't work over network like this so..... took a step back to use it connected to desktop as before - which is what you're trying to do.... So :-

First one to try:-
MacBook Hacker: Printing from the MacBook to a Canon MP 800 over an XP Network

Note to use not the actual printer driver, but a 'Guten' print driver.... give this option a try. Looks like many found happiness with this... but not me, sadly. Will try it again... but was not too upset as i'd already found this other gem :-

How to Use a Printer Attached to a Windows XP Computer in Mac OS X

This is a bit more longwinded, but not 'difficult' and WORKS..... was surprised. But for sure, if the first one abpve is giving trouble then just do this second option to get a prunter working - and you cna go back to the more 'elegant' way later.

Don't you love how Apple hid the advanced option in the printers window?

Coops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
And if none of those work for you, try connecting your printer directly to your router.
Of course, this only works if your router has a means of connecting to your printer via usb or some other means.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.