Help running dual displays

Reaction score
Hi
I am currently running a Dual 1.8ghz Power PC G5 with 4gb memory on 10.5.8.

I just bought a second 20" cinema display which I would like to run along side my existing one. My main use is video editing and graphic/web design.

I just wondered if anybody could shed some light on a good graphics card for running two monitors. I currently have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (which has only one DVI slot) so have been looking into dual DVI cards.

I came across the following and wondered if it was the best card for the job (ATI Radeon HD 4870):

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

I am in no way tied to it though. So if people know of another option, please feel free to throw it into the mix. I don't really know how beneficial a good card is for video editing, so any information is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks everyone

-Craig

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's a good thing you're not tied to it as you will not be able to use the 4870 in your G5. There are no PCI-E slots in any G5.

As far as I am aware, the 9800 Pro was (is) the top of the line card for that machine.

You'll need to either replace the existing card with an AGP card capable of dual monitor output or install a 2nd card using PCI. Probably something like this - link.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I completely forgot that I'll need an AGP card. I've had a quick look around and I can't seem to find one anywhere. The 9800 Pro Dual DVI appears on a few sites but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get hold of one of these (UK) or offer me some more advice. I'm happy using my MacBook Pro for most things but when editing I prefer the desktop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unfortunately, the best place to check is probably going to be ebay.co.uk

A couple of years ago you could find a few places with new ones still sitting on the shelves. My guess is now, that used may be your only route.

With the price of the 256MB cards - even used - you might want to consider replacing those two 20" monitors with a single 24" monitor. Just another option for more real estate.

They have dropped in price though - 2 years ago, you couldn't hardly touch one of these cards for less than $250-300 U.S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I completely forgot that I'll need an AGP card. I've had a quick look around and I can't seem to find one anywhere. The 9800 Pro Dual DVI appears on a few sites but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get hold of one of these (UK) or offer me some more advice. I'm happy using my MacBook Pro for most things but when editing I prefer the desktop.

You could always buy the dual DVI dongle for your mini display port for the macbook if you really can't find the card!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.