Welp

F

Fomer

Drove to the Apple Store today and purchased my purty 15 inch g4 powerbook. I am a little confused on somethings (first mac, first laptop) Aight... number uno,

- copy and paste? Any easier way than sliding the touch pad all the way to "edit"... (I miss good ol Right Click)
- how do I delete items off the dock...?
- how to stop recieved files from short cutting on my desktop...
-Any good admunchers out there for safari... all my favorite sites (except this one of course :) ) All load down with darn pop-ups
-How do I add things to the dock... probably will be answered along with deleting. (mostly trying to add home to my dock)
-Also is there a way to change your "home" for safari?

That's all I got now... other than that the pb is fantastic this is my first apple and Steve Jobs can be proud because it won't be my last. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Fomer said:
Drove to the Apple Store today and purchased my purty 15 inch g4 powerbook. I am a little confused on somethings (first mac, first laptop) Aight... number uno,

- copy and paste? Any easier way than sliding the touch pad all the way to "edit"... (I miss good ol Right Click)
- how do I delete items off the dock...?
- how to stop recieved files from short cutting on my desktop...
-Any good admunchers out there for safari... all my favorite sites (except this one of course :) ) All load down with darn pop-ups
-How do I add things to the dock... probably will be answered along with deleting. (mostly trying to add home to my dock)
-Also is there a way to change your "home" for safari?

That's all I got now... other than that the pb is fantastic this is my first apple and Steve Jobs can be proud because it won't be my last. :)

Cool, I have a lot of that answers....

Copy and Paste : If you hold CTRL-SHIFT-LEFT/RIGHT it will highlight the whole line starting from where you are, and ending at the end of the direction you choose.

Deleting Items Off Dock : Drag 'em off :) It's that easy. Just click drag it right off the dock onto the desktop, and you should get a little puff of smoke. It's gone :)

Downloaded Files : You need to open the Safari preferences : Select "Safari" and then "Preferences" then "General" and there is a drop down there to select where you want to save downloaded files. This is of course in the toolbar.

Pop-Ups : Safarai has a built in pop up killer. Select "Safari" and then "Block pop-up windows" in the toolbar

Add things to the dock : There are 2 ways of doing this. The way I do it, is hold down OPTION and then drag whatever you are working with to the dock where you want it to be. So you can open your disk in finder, go to applications, hold down option, and drag the calculator to the dock and there it is, to stay. If you want to get rid of it, just drag it off the dock. The OPTION button actually creates an "alias" which is like a shortcut, so the application actually stays where it originally was, and you get a shortcut on your doc. You can of couse just drag it to the dock, but that will move the thing you are working with, and I don't like to do that.

Change "HOME" in safari : You can change your homepage in safari by selecting "Safari" then "Preferences" and then "General". There is a spot there for you to type in a new homepage, use the current, use blank, etc, etc.

Hmmmm, got 'em all :)

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Another handy shortcut I use all the time on my "Completely Functional iBook" is to hold down fn ( bottom left of the keyboard ) and press up or down arrows. This is the same as pageup and pagedown. I guess it's not really a shortcut, but I use it all the time, and it saves on mouse dragging.

OP
F

Fomer

Thanks for the speedy reply, sorry for my delayed reply... ok everything was great except, what I meant by the desktop chaching my stuff was when I downloaded msn in made an icon on my desktop (the installer) then I installed it and deleted the installer icon but now I have a big white icon below my micintosh hd icon its same icon except white... and when i go to delete it finder pops up and is like WOAH you sure you wanna delete this? I clicked yes and then it said it couldnt delete because I had msn running... so i closed msn deleted it then i didnt have msn anymore.... its like the main msn file... does it have to go on my desktop? I hate desktop icons..

EDIT: Also as I had said on right clicking using windows... when on a site something i love to do is multibrowse... say here on the forums how would i go about opening say "powerbook" cat. and "switch hangout?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Fomer said:
what I meant by the desktop chaching my stuff was when I downloaded msn in made an icon on my desktop (the installer) then I installed it and deleted the installer icon but now I have a big white icon below my micintosh hd icon its same icon except white... and when i go to delete it finder pops up and is like WOAH you sure you wanna delete this? I clicked yes and then it said it couldnt delete because I had msn running... so i closed msn deleted it then i didnt have msn anymore.... its like the main msn file... does it have to go on my desktop? I hate desktop icons..

It sounds like you'll want to drag that icon to a folder such as "Applications".

OP
F

Fomer

Padawan said:
It sounds like you'll want to drag that icon to a folder such as "Applications".

Little tinkering around and it finally worked...thanks :)

OP
F

Fomer

Fomer said:
Little tinkering around and it finally worked...thanks :)

Another question....I can't seem to get cleardock to work. I installed the program and created App Enhancers folder copied the ape file put it in there double clicked it and it says there is no default application specified to open this :confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.