Trouble with Mac Drivers on XP

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Here's the deal - I can't get the Mac drivers to load on XP using boot camp.

Here is what I've done:
Loaded XP onto my Macbook using boot camp (I am running snow leopard). After loading XP, I inserted my Mac installation Disc 1 to load the Mac drivers onto XP, and received an error saying that I needed a Windows Installer upgrade (i.e., I was running XP service pack 1). Also tried using my Snow Leopard installation disc and received the same error.

I downloaded service pack 2 on the Mac partition, copied it to a USB stick, tried installing it in XP and received the error that there was not enough disc space, and I needed to clear 4 megabytes on my hard drive and retry (which I tried, and received the same error).

I then tried uploading bootcamp 2.1 onto XP, because I heard that would alleviate the "lacking 4 megabytes of space" issue, but also received an error that there was not enough disc space to even load bootcamp 2.1 (this is an invalid error, because I have partitioned 20 GB to XP, so there is plenty of space).

In short, I need the Mac drivers on XP, but cannot load them because I don't have SP2, and I can't get SP2 because I don't have the internet on the XP side to download it, and I don't have the internet to download it because I cannot install the drivers (with airport) on XP. It's a viscious circle and I'm not sure how to get out of it. Any suggestions?

Thank you kindly for your help.

Brian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
SP1 is just not going to work. You need to restore the disk to a single partition again using BootCamp Assistant and then create a new XP disk by slipstreaming SP2 on to it.

If you haven't yet, you need to open BootCamp Assistant and print out the manual available on the first screen and read through it.

Reaction score
The Boot Camp instructions are very specific: you must use a single disc installation of XP SP2 or SP3 for the install. You either need to slipstream as suggested above or get a single-disc full retail or "System Builder OEM" disc (not a branded manufacturer OEM disc) of XP2 or XP3.

You could use your SP1 disc to create a virtual machine under Fusion or Parallels, however, which may suffice for your needs. But not in Boot Camp. The instructions are clear on this point and, unfortunately, quite accurate.

Upgrading to SP2 will not work either.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.