New Macbook Pro User (or will be soon)

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting my new MacBook Pro 13" tomorrow and I'll be looking to transfer most of my existing files from Windows Vista (boo-hiss!) probably via my iPod Touch. Is this a reasonably simple way of doing it? I've looked through the Apple 'how-to' documents and it seems quite logical, but I've not used the iPod for file transfers before so just being a bit cautious.

My plan is to zip all of my files using WinRAR and then transfer them. Can OS X handle these files?

Final question - I recognise this will be a matter of opinion, but which is better to use on the Mac - MS Office 2008 or Open Office?

Reaction score
How do you plan to move the files to the iPod Touch? In OS X the iPod Touch can't be mounted as a drive (tho it may be possible with a third-party utility). In Windows, the only directory I've ever been able to read is the one the photos are stored in, and I can't write to it.

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting my new MacBook Pro 13" tomorrow and I'll be looking to transfer most of my existing files from Windows Vista (boo-hiss!) probably via my iPod Touch. Is this a reasonably simple way of doing it? I've looked through the Apple 'how-to' documents and it seems quite logical, but I've not used the iPod for file transfers before so just being a bit cautious.

My plan is to zip all of my files using WinRAR and then transfer them. Can OS X handle these files?

Final question - I recognise this will be a matter of opinion, but which is better to use on the Mac - MS Office 2008 or Open Office?

I made the Win-OX file transfer with both machines on my wireless network and using file sharing. A bit of effort to set it up (there are plenty of help articles on this forum) but it works very well. Now that I'm done, I rarely use my XP machine but when I do turn it on, all files on it are visible on my Mac.

I use Open Office to access all my old Excel files. Since it is free, why not give it a try? If it doesn't meet your needs, you've lost little.

OP
B
Reaction score
How do you plan to move the files to the iPod Touch? In OS X the iPod Touch can't be mounted as a drive (tho it may be possible with a third-party utility). In Windows, the only directory I've ever been able to read is the one the photos are stored in, and I can't write to it.

You're right - I'd actually misunderstood the info on the iPod touch - you can use it (I think) to transfer iTunes libraries across, but not to transfer actual data.

I'll probably try and do it via my wireless network...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

You could use an IDE/SATA to USB adapter and connect that way. All you would have to do is pop out your hard drive, and connect it to the adapter (if you have one).
Another alternative is to get a network cable (rollover) and connect each computer to your LAN and just enable file sharing on both computers and transfer files that way. In addition, i would NOT recommend transfering a large amount of files via wireless.. it is unreliable and takes FOREVER!

As for acceptable file extensions, if you don't have Open Office or Office 2008 (or a program that reads .doc/.docx extensions) you obviously won't be able to access the files but they can of course be placed on the hard drive.
Personally i prefer Office08 to Open Office. I feel 08 as more functionality PLUS its prettier :)

Hopefully this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Wait, you're serious? It won't mount as a drive like the iPod classic will if you turn off auto-synching? Here I was considering getting a 64 gig one... I may have to say F that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey - thanks for all the suggestions - I'm gonna go with using the wireless to do the transfer, maybe use a direct connection if necessary for a couple of larger files. Also going to go with using Office 08 - I can get the Enterprise edition for £10 with a scheme through work.

Also this is my first post using my brand-new MacBook Pro!!! Very pleased so far (albeit after about ten minutes using it!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Congrats on your new MBP! Im sure once you go through the hassle of transferring files you will be quite happy with your new machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
I do have another question - had absolutely no problems copying files etc via an ethernet connection, but I used my pen drive to copy over my music files. iTunes picked them up no problem and added them to my library, but I now have the folder from my old PC (in which are the files I copied over) and my new Mac iTunes folder (which doesn't appear to hold any physical files in it).

Do I need to keep the old folder (ie the .aac files I copied) or are they held in some way in the new Mac folder and therefore can I delete the old folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
how did you copy them over? did you use the "add to library" feature in iTunes? If so, in iTunes, go to preferences and then go to the advanced tab. Make sure the copy files when adding to library box is checked.

OP
B
Reaction score
how did you copy them over? did you use the "add to library" feature in iTunes? If so, in iTunes, go to preferences and then go to the advanced tab. Make sure the copy files when adding to library box is checked.

Ah - that is how I did it, and have just had a look and the checkbox is checked. I will assume that the folder can be deleted.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.