Problem with Erace Free Space

Reaction score
I left bout 5GB space and wonder what took so much space as my notebook is 120GB and I don't have much huge file besides 30GB of songs+pictures, the rest are basically in word format.... I just run the 'Erase Free Space', then a window popped up said I need to spare more space and something like that, then it's just stop running.... now my space capacity show 'ZERO KB'......

Anyone can help me with any suggestion? HELP~~~ SOS~~~

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. My first question is - what are u doing for back ups? That answer might suggest a path to sort your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I had the same thing happen... I think while it is erasing free space is has some sort of an issue. I don't recall exactly what I did... maybe a reboot? Then it showed the proper amount of free space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I could be wrong, but I think that the erase free space feature works by writing to the free space and then erasing it. If the process is interrupted before it could erase what it wrote then your HD will be full. I'm not sure how to fix it though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You are correct, eliehass, it seemed to resolve itself for me. I was freaking out though, any time all your hard disk space disappears it's a scary scenario.

OP
C
Reaction score

Funny, it shows 4.79GB space available after I restart my computer..... I wonder what's wrong with it.....

I believe it might be temporarily files that I've deleted from trash.... Any idea how can I solve it? I'm not dare to try 'erase free space' at all.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I think you are trying to use erase free space to free up space on your hard drive. That is not what erase free space does. Erase free space just takes whatever space on your hard drive is already free, and writes over it, securely wiping whatever used to be there. If you want to actually free up space on your hard drive you can try using omnidisksweeper to figure out exactly what is eating up all of your space.

OP
C
Reaction score
hey eliehass! Thanks alot!! The program really helps alot and I have bout 14GB now!!!

Thanks everyone for the comments... thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Had to interject... do NOT interrupt the "Erase Free Space" process. You might be tempted to because it takes so long and it eventually takes up all your free space, which is then deleted in one big chunk. I made the mistake of interrupting it and I had 0 disk space left and couldn't figure out how to delete it myself. Eventually I had to take it to the Genius Bar and they were able to get rid of it for me. Don't know what I would have done without them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.