OS Install

Reaction score
Hello. Let me start out by saying that I am COMPLETELY new to Macs. I bought an IMac G3 for $20 with the hopes of general web browsing. It came with Linux installed. I HATE Linux! The guy who sold it to me didn't know too much about linux, but said he didn't think the CD ROM works on the IMac, but I think this is because he did not have it mounted in Linux.

My question is, how do I get a squeaky clean install of ANY Mac OS on here. I know 7.5 is freeware. I have a slot loading drive on this IMac, and a 400 Mhz CPU.

So, for the time being, since I do not know how to mount the CDROM in this horrible Linux enviroment, I cannot bun anything on this Mac. I have a PC that I can use to download/burn files if need be.

As stated before, I do not know anything about Macs, and do not know how to get rid of Linux and install an older Mac OS. I would need step by step, and links to files I may need.

This Linux is getting irritating! HELP!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is, how do I get a squeaky clean install of ANY Mac OS on here. I know 7.5 is freeware. I have a slot loading drive on this IMac, and a 400 Mhz CPU.

I believe the minimum OS on a 400mhz iMac is OS 8.6...7.5 is too old.

- Nick

Reaction score
Hi!

to
......... get rid of Linux and install an older Mac OS

should be an easy task - all you need is a Mac OS CD, and getting hold of one of them should be a doddle via ebay!

Then just load the disc, follow install instructions, and enjoy.

Check this, but I'm fairly sure the iMac G3 400 does have a DVD drive, and will certainly accept OS-X - so Collin's right, go for the best OS you can find at your price!!

iPig

Reaction score
I believe the minimum OS on a 400mhz iMac is OS 8.6...7.5 is too old.

- Nick

My orange Imac restore disc says 8.1. For DV models the disc is 9.0.

Hey dude EsOne4200 the best way to do this is take the Hard Drive out and nuke it in another computer and put it back. Then these firmware issues you have to deal with starting on a clean hard drive. You ethier need the original install disc for an DV Imac, they are Orange and White or a full retail version that can do a universal install. You must have the right firmware on that model for it to work. To put X is a long process you start at 9.2.2 and the boot rom must be 4.1.9 or the X unix code can fry the video chip. DO NOT try to install OS ten with doing some research on this machine and how to install X on G3 imacs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.