Backup HD Image

G

gtee

I have posted a similar question a few months ago when I was a new iMac user.
Now that I have had a chance to use my Mac - I would like to re-ask my question as I now feel I am better able to understand your replies.

I wish to clone - or copy - my HD as a backup that I can then restore if needed. I have a G5 iMac, 512 meg Ram, 160 gig HDD. What are users' views on CCC, Tri-Backup and SuperDuper for my requirements? I have briefly tried all 3 but without partitioning my HD I found that they all took a considerable amount of time. Is this normal?

Also - when I am ready to clone my HD - how do I make my backup image into a bootable CD?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ccc is carbon copy cloner, its good, but the scheduling is all screwed up, and it can at times get stuck on invisible files, I have moved to using deja vu, super duper is ok, the problem with all of these is you back up to an external hd, not a folder on that hd, so there are invisible files all over it that you can't see or delete, I prefer the optoin of saving to a folder on my exernal hd so if I need to, I can delete that flder, deja vu does this, its fast, its a system preference pane, easy to use, and free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.