Vista on bootcamp boot mayhem!

Reaction score
I've switched to a new MacBook Pro, which is gorgeous in its own right bar running running Windows on it! I've successfully installed Windows Vista and been using ot for a few days but I believe I have already been infected with a virus. After I installed a piece of software, when I restarted Vista to complete the install, Vista would not boot (I was stuck at a screen asking me to select an Operating System, but my computer was frozen. I had to power off regardless.

I then put in my Vista DVD and booted Vista successfully and now it does boot, but painfully slowly (I'm talking 5-10 times slower than before; it gets stuck at the flashing white dash at the top left of the screen), but then after a long time, the green windows progress bar at the bottom appears and there are no problems from here on.

There is definately a problem. I've followed help menus in Windows which advise to run the startup repair utility by restarting Vista with the Vista DVD in the drive, but it is not being recognised when I do this. ?

How do I get rid of this nasty virus??

Much love, Mo

Reaction score
You should always install an antivirus when running Windows on ANY machine, even a Mac. Your best bet at this point is probably to get rid of the Vista partition and reinstall under Boot Camp, followed by an immediate install of a good antivirus package. I use AVG free but there are others, many free ones, that do a great job. PC World just did a survey; I don't have the link handy.

From the Mac side, go to Boot Camp Assistant, and select Restore - which will erase your Windows partition and restore the Mac to a single OSX partition. Then reinstall your Vista from there.

At least you didn't run this for a long time before it happened.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody, 2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 250 HDD, Snow+windows 7
You dont need an anti-virus, they dont do crap. All you have to do is just be carefull about what you are downloading, and scan the file on a free online scanner: this is the best website virusscan.jotti.org

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

To be honest; I'm not keen on doing a clean re-install of Vista unless I really have to. I have already performed a system restore to before I ran this dodgy application to no avail :(

My question is how I could access Vista's startup repait tool through bootcamp as my MBP obviously doesn't have a BIOS and so I cannot set it to boot through my Vista DVD...

Reaction score
problem on Boot Camp

Hi,

I am a new user for mac os.
I am trying to install windows vista on my macbook.
My OS version is MAC OS X 10.5.8.

I had installed boot camp assistant 1.3 in my macbook. After successful installation if i click the boot camp icon it showing "Boot Camp Assistant beta has expired".

Can any one please guide me to install widows vista on my macbook.

Thanks,
Lakshmi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
You dont need an anti-virus, they dont do crap.
Wow just wow, they do helpful things as in preventing the spread of virus and or removal of them. So you are saying they are useless yet you suggest he goes to online one that uses a large number of different virus scanners...... yeah missing the road from point A to point B.

I do suggest an anti virus, my personal preference would be towards AVG, bitdefender or nod32.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody, 2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 250 HDD, Snow+windows 7
@ ms540

Just pop in the cd, boot up in windows and than go to my computer and click on the cd. Should say install or repair.

@slakshmina
Did u install the bootcamp from the cd your macbook came with?

@gagnerants
I used to have Anti-virus programs but i stopped using them since they cant even find the virus. My PC has been running two years now with out one and its perfectly fine....It worked worse with anti vir......Its a personal experience

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.