• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Analog Video to Dvd for iMac Suggestions

Reaction score
Hello, new iMac user here, LOVE IT. I would like to transfer video from my directv tivo to DVD. I'm considering a regular stand alone DVD recorder but I'm also wondering if there is an easy and inexpensive way to record from the S-Video or Composite output of the Tivo using my iMac. I'd like to be able to remove commercials and do a little more editing than the standalone can do.

I've seen a couple of USB devices that seem promising including the eyeTV Wonder. One problem is that the recorder and mac are across the room from each other, about 25 feet or so. I don't need great quality so I guess I could use longer video cables and just put up with the loss. I'm longer than the 16 ft max of usb as well although I could just get a usb extension (Yes I know I need the powered usb extensions, not just a cable). Any experiences with the eyetv usb or any other suggestions.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
well,

off of tv, as far as i know your quality will be 320x240, unless you have HD or otherwise. DVDs are either 720x480 or 352x288..

In my experience, USB capture is terrible. you end up with dropped frames, sound lagging, etc..

Now a firewire transfer is more like it. Yes i know theyre similar in speeds, but firewire has always worked for me.

Or many video cards have tv tuners...i need to know if my ATI wonderVE will work on mac, as you could use that. the ati wonderVE was like 30 bucks...plus you get TV on it lol

I

imacthere4iam

if you ever decide to buy a camcorder, make sure it has a pass-through feature and firewire. although i had to setup my dvr next to my computer, using the camcorder to convert the analog signal from the dvr to digital and then pass it on to the computer via firewire worked perfect. good luck with doing this without moving your dvr!
also, i don't think macs can import video without using firewire. if you ask the help menu about importing video, it will say you have to have a device with firewire output.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.