• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Compression settings for Youtube, not HD, Widescreen....

Reaction score
This is my problem:
I have the canon HV20 HD camera. I'm shooting live music concerts. I make my one song edit with the title and the ending that I shot it and want to put it on youtube.. but not in HD, because then people will download it. I want it viewed in good quality.. but not the best quality as how I shot it, to protect my work. I want the best quality I can get viewed, without it being something that someone can copy and have in their possession.
I don't trade.. I give it to the band.. I will put up maybe three songs for each concert.. but want the quality less than what my camera recorded it.

I have imovie 5 .. I capture the song DV-NTSC widescreen. All the tutorials currently are for HD, so I'm just lost with the correct settings. You may look at some of what I've tried. I did the same song two times.. with different settings. The songs are lagging.. or pixelled, in the worst case.
My channel is Truelenscanada on youtube.
The oldest video on there someone else did for me on a pc.
If someone can guide me to a tutorial or give me some setting suggestions. I"m told MPeg-4, I used that.. H.264.. I'm doing that. I think I mess up with the widescreen part.. the old tutorials are not widescreen, the new ones are HD. I need widescreen.. but not HD, but want the people to see a real good video so they will go to the show.. in another town. I do close ups so I don't want it to look scary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Are you recording to your camera in HD? It sounds like you are capturing to iMovie in a lower quality although that version handles your cameras HDV capability. This will lower the quality because DV-NTSC widescreen only uses 720 pixels for the width, the same as it would use for the 4:3 standard width. An embedded flag tells the player what to do with it.

I'm not sure where I found it on YouTube's site, but the difference between HD and HQ is defined by the vertical size you upload. In your case it sounds like you want to create a video that is 853x480 which is what DV-NTSC widescreen would translate to. (I noticed two of your videos look narrow.) It will end up having the HQ option, but not the HD option. Experiment by uploading a video in private mode.

Oh, make sure your iMovie project is wide screen to begin with. That might be why you have the narrow video with black bars. Someone else may have a better explanation.

You might want to review my video guides. One discusses manual export from iMovie and the other discusses exporting for YouTube.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.