Windows taking forever to load

Reaction score
New to the Mac world. Just got rid of all my PC's and bought a iMac 24 and Macbook Pro 13.

I have a small business and need to run Peachtree for my accounting and inventory. Before getting the iMac 24 I had a iMac 20 2007 model. OS10.5

I did the boot camp and installed windows xp home and it worked perfect.

My new iMAc 24 came with Snow. I did everything correctly, had a issue with my bluetooth feature but Apple Care had me reset the memory at startup and that fixed my problem. My only complaint now is when I press my power button and hold the option key, I get my gray screen with my two HDD's. When I click the Windows drive, it sticks at that screen for 1 minute to 1 minute and 20 seconds then goes to the black screen and cursor for 10 to 15 seconds and windows starts.

My old iMac never ever took this long to start windows. Snow loads perfect no delays on that part. What am I doing wrong or what ??

When I installed windows I did the boot camp setup with 20GB's. I installed windows just fine and used the OS Snow disc to load all the drivers from the disc.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After booting into Windows, check to see what's running during the startup phase. It might be an AV program and or possibly a firewall that could be taking time to let the system start. This can be especially true if you have your AV program doing a system scan when it starts.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed with chscag, AV programs are notorious for long startups. I use Startup Control Panel to monitor and nuke unnecessary startup programs.

Also, Spyware/Adware and programs of their ilk are easy enough to contract on a Windows machine, I recommend Malwarebytes for easy removal.

And if all else fails, you can also try Microsoft's own (unsupported) Bootvis to optimize boot times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.