• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD 7 (iLife 09) : no sound issue

Reaction score
Dear all:

Here my problem, I hope someone could help me out:

1.- New iDVD project
2.- Import AVI file (with 2 languages on it)
3.- Create DVD disc image: so iDVD encode the stuff into DVD format
4.- Burn DVD image into physical disc
5.- Insert DVD into MAC, DVD recorder is launched. I see perfectly the DVD, sound and image are fine.
6.- Try this DVD in a conventional DVD recorder => NO SOUND AT ALL

Anyone knows what is happening? Is it a problem with the recorder or iDVD image?

Thanks

César

Reaction score
No sound on iDVD

I have a similar problem. I recently updated to iLife 09.
I have created two movies now containing background music imported from iTunes. Works great in iMovie but when I create an iDVD, all sound, including original soundtrack are missing.
If I remove all the added music, everything works fine. These are all different tracks, all purchased from the iTunes store.
What has happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
cesar, try converting the AVI to a QuickTime .mov file using either H.264 as the video codec with ACC audio, or AIC (Apple Intermediate) as the video codec with PCM audio.

I've formed this opinion that AVI files have issues with the Apple tools. I don't know why or what it is. Perhaps it is the codec contained in the AVI file wrapper. I've just seen enough questions mentioning problems with AVI files and the Apple tools.

bob, I think you only choice is to burn a CD and reimport the tunes. I think the tools are protecting the purchased songs. They are if those songs have DRM on them.

OP
C
Reaction score
cesar, try converting the AVI to a QuickTime .mov file using either H.264 as the video codec with ACC audio, or AIC (Apple Intermediate) as the video codec with PCM audio.

I've formed this opinion that AVI files have issues with the Apple tools. I don't know why or what it is. Perhaps it is the codec contained in the AVI file wrapper. I've just seen enough questions mentioning problems with AVI files and the Apple tools.

bob, I think you only choice is to burn a CD and reimport the tunes. I think the tools are protecting the purchased songs. They are if those songs have DRM on them.

Thank you very much for your help.

Finally it was OK, the problem was related to the IMG to ISO images transformation, since the original image worked fine.

Anyway, it is a pitty to loose one language (spanish - english). I was planning to produce 300 copies of those DVDs, and I can't find the way to keep both languages. Some people I would like to send it (as present) is german, so at least english language is required.

Related to iMovie, I am not sure why but there are so many problems between iDVD and iMovie, it is not the first post I see related to the issue Bob described. Unfortunately I never use iMovie, so, I don't know how to solve it.

May be we have to use iDVD Studio Pro, expensive and to much bundle for the easy thing we are looking for.

César

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.