Need Windows Version Options for new iMac running Snow Lepard 10.6

Reaction score
I'm just coming back into the wonderful world of Mac's and recently purchased a new 24" IMAC. I have 2 pc's: a Dell laptop and an IBM Desktop which both have OEM versions of Window's XP installed. I understand that I cannot upgrade to Vista and put it on my Mac as they are proprietary to the companies and I have no original CD's. Seeing that I need to purchase a full version to run Bootcamp and/or a VM product, I'm not sure which version I should get.

I understand Windows XP Pro is the most stable in a Mac environment, but with Vista and the release of 7 coming up, I don't know whether I should still try to find an XP CD or the newer systems. If I do stick with XP, which version should I purchase? Should I use a new OEM for system builders? Which is the least expensive and easiest way to do this?

Seeing that I'm a graphic designer and need all the room I can get, do I use bootcamp or forego space saving and quickness and use a VM alternative or use both? I read the summary, but still not sure. Any advice is appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand Windows XP Pro is the most stable in a Mac environment, but with Vista and the release of 7 coming up, I don't know whether I should still try to find an XP CD or the newer systems. If I do stick with XP, which version should I purchase? Should I use a new OEM for system builders? Which is the least expensive and easiest way to do this?

Win XP Home SP3 would be better than Pro SP3 since it's smaller and uses less resources. There is no difference in stability. The only reason to even consider Pro is if you should need the extra security or the ability to log on to a domain. And yes, the most economical would be an OEM System Builders full install version. You might also want to consider using Win 7.

Seeing that I'm a graphic designer and need all the room I can get, do I use bootcamp or forego space saving and quickness and use a VM alternative or use both? I read the summary, but still not sure. Any advice is appreciated.

As a graphic designer you probably would want to run Windows natively. I recommend installing it via Boot Camp. Using the BC partition as a VM with Parallels or Fusion is not recommended with XP. It has been known to cause corruption of the XP boot sector. It's OK with Vista and Win 7 since they both use a different boot sector than XP.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.