document icons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz G5, 4g ram, OSX 10.5.
on my wife's computer when I save a word document it looks like the normal nice looking word icon. for instance the .doc and .docx icons are different looking etc... but on my computer the word icons look normal for about one second and then switch over to a gray, generic, sheet of paper looking icon. How come I can't get the standard nice looking word icons to appear on my computer. same goes for .pdf files, her's are nice and red standard .pdf icon, while mine go to a gray, generic looking one after about one second.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On your computer.... which program do you have assigned to open Word documents? PDF documents? For example: If TextEdit is the default for opening Word documents, then what you're seeing is normal.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The documents will be thumbnails (little pictures of what they look like when opened) if you have that option set.

If you want abstract icons, choose View > Show View Options and un-check the "Show icon preview" box. But if you do this, any pictures you have in that folder will also take on generic icons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod
wait it out, when you are more comfortable there is really no end to customization. as a new user I'd say performance and functionality is what I would be tuned into to. know what I mean?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.