Wanted to share a fantastic story of success!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
First a bit of background. I am a Switcher, using a 15 inch Macbook Pro for about 5 months now. While Macs have been popular with my Dad and Sister since the mid-1980's, this is MY first Mac. I am actually a Windows Server and Network Administrator.

Anyways. Last night I decided my Mac could use more hard drive space, not to mention the claimed speed increases from upgrading from a 5400rpm drive to a 7200 (MacLife magazine, Oct 2009 pg 31). I went out and purchased the Seagate 500GB Momentus 7400.4 SATA drive.

After making sure I had an up-to-date Time Machine backup, I removed the old hard drive and installed the new one. Then simply booted from the Snow Leopard disc and let it install itself.

On it's first bootup, it prompted me if I wanted to restore from a backup. I chose to restore from Time Machine. It then asked me what I wanted to restore, and had checkboxes for User Data, Applications, Settings. I checked the boxes and let it do it's thing.

When it completed, it booted up to my familiar login prompt. Everything was intact - my desktop, documents, applications, iTunes and iPhoto library, everything. It was as if I was running on my original hard drive, only now with a ton more available hard drive space.

Is that a true success story or what? It couldn't possibly have been more simple. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Awesome! That's exactly how it's supposed to work.

I swapped out my hard drive earlier this year and it could not have gone more smoothly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Thanks for sharing

Good to see you are a happy user

Also. it is always interesting to see how many people who's job is to admin windows set-ups are choosing a mac for their own computer

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Thanks for sharing

Good to see you are a happy user

Also. it is always interesting to see how many people who's job is to admin windows set-ups are choosing a mac for their own computer

After a long day of fighting with Windows boxes, the last thing I want to do is come home to more Windows boxes. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a mate - 25 years with PCs - last year he got his first MacBook and joined our club. He uses the MB for remoting in as Network Admin and sorting medical practice all on PCs. Now a pushy Mac enthusiast who has introduced more members to our MUG in 12 months than i have in years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Also if you buy a new Mac to upgrade from your old Mac Migration Assistant is brilliant as far as getting your stuff from the old to the new. Plug in a firewire cable to both once you've gone through the initial setup/registration etc. and a few hours later you have all your stuff and settings moved over. It's like my Macbook transformed into a Macbook Pro with just about zero effort.

Then you are free to format/reinstall the old one for sale.

Reaction score
Thats really Cool! Most long time windows users I know would have messed up the Mac in a second punching in Dos codes and stuff. Great to hear your story and welcome to the club. Back when I started they(PC'er)called us Macheads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.