Opening a Windows doc on my Mac

Reaction score
Howdy everyone!

I've signed u today because I'm having a nightmare. I bought my Mac from my ex simply because I needed a computer and found using them pretty staright forward but I still no NOTHING about them really...

This is my dilemma. I've been doing my university assignments at the uni library because I hadn't arranged internet in my new house. The comps at uni are windows based.

Now I have internet at home (and the deadline is looming!!) I can't open up my essay on my Mac.

Any ideas on what's up and how I fix it. An all nighter is in the pipeline.

Thanks in advance!

Also, forgive my poor typing and spelling! Haha. I was rushing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It might help to know what app you wrote the essay in - but assuming that it was written in MS Word - you can buy Mac Office and *should* be able to open it (but costs money) or you can download a free app called NeoOffice or OpenOffice (both programs are pretty much the same in capability - NeoOffice took openoffice and changed a few of the feature sets and the general look to be more "Mac like") and you should be able to open up the file.

Openoffice link: porting: OpenOffice.org Aqua for Mac OSX

Neooffice link: NeoOffice Home

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I have Office already but Word for Mac just doesn't like the file. It was originally saved in Windows 2007 I think.

Sorry. I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to computers.

I'll try the OpenOffice link. Thanks again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
OpenOffice (and I think NeoOffice) should be able to open a Word 2007 file.

It sounds like you have Mac Office 2004, which doesn't support '07 files I don't think (unless it's been patched by MS to be able to, I honestly don't know). Another thing you can do if you want, you can take the file back to the library, open it, and instead of just saving it, you can click on the windows button on Word '07 and use the save as option and save it under a different file format (like word '03).

Either way, there's definitely a way to open that file :D

OP
C
Reaction score
No access to the library now which is why I'm having kittens about not getting this thing complete on time.

Thankfully, I emailed the essay to myself as a precautionary measure so I'm going to forward it to a friend who is going to re-save it for me.

This PC/Mac lark is a nightmare! Haha. I'll remember to save it differently in future though.

Reaction score
Try this website.

ThinkFree Online

It's Thinkfree it's fully compatible with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint plus you can upload your files for easy syncing no matter where you are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.