• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cannon HF 100 and FCP7

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to get video's from my Cannon HF 100 onto my Mac Pro. I hook it up through USB and my Mac only sees it as a harddrive with no name.

I have been doing some reading and I have read it has something to do with Pixela ImageMixer 3, software that comes with the camera. Apparently it doesn't come with the Mac version of the software and if I want it I have to fork out $100 on there website for it. Screw that.

However I have red other posts where people seem to have no problem importing Cannon HF 100 video's on there Mac. It's records in AVCHD and I reliaze that FCP can not edit 1920x1080 video but then I read that you can use PROres to convert it and it works great...i'm lost.

I would firstly just like to know how to get the video on my Mac.

This is my first Mac and I am just learning to use FCP and all the other programs that come with it. Can a kind user give me a hand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
FCP can edit 1920x1080, not sure where you got that it couldn't - I'd be really curious where you read that. ProRes 422 will happily allow you to do 1920x1080 (I can't comment on 444 as I don't have 7, I have 6)

To get the footage into your system, you will use Log and Transfer. You should be able to do it with the camera connected via usb, or by ejecting the SD card and plugging it into an SD reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see you're problem - you're confusing the use of AIC with the use of ProRES - both are intermediate codecs, but ProRES will do full 1920x1080 - with Final Cut Pro you really should be using ProRES for your codecs for HD on FCP unless space is a serious concern (with prices of hard drives these days, you should be able to get a terabyte to use as scratch and not have many storage concerns)

Final Cut Express and iMovie use AIC for their HD transcodes. With FCP you have the option of AIC or ProRES, choose ProRes.

To learn more about workflows and different codecs, check out:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Final_Cut_Pro_7_Professional_Formats_and_Workflows.pdf

go down to chapter 10 which discusses ProRES and AIC

Also, if you have a Mac Pro (and not a macbook pro) then AFAIK there is no SD reader - myself, I use an external high speed SD reader plugged into my mac pro.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey Log and Transfer worked, thanks a lot for the information Nethfel, I really do appreciate it. I will give that pdf a read for sure. Also yes I have a Mac Pro, and space should not be a problem, I have 3 terabyte drives and one spare 640 gb drive. I think might look into an external SD reader as well, what makes do you recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear it went well for ya! Yeah, I love using FCP with my HF100; took a little bit to get used to having come from doing only standard def work and using Premiere and Liquid Edition on windows, but I really like it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.