Initial Experience with Apple - So far, so bad...

Reaction score
So with this being my first ever apple purchase I can safely say so far i'm extremely disappointed.

Apple marked it as shipped on the 12th (bought it the 11th). I got a tracking number shortly after and tracked it (via fed ex). It eventually said estimated delivery date "Sept 15th" and then Sept 15th came and instead of delivering it they just removed the estimated delivery from the page. I wasn't frustrated yet because Apples order confirmation said it would be Delivered by the 16th so I waited until today and it's not here. Immediately after getting home from work I call fedex to ask for an update on my package because it was supposed to be here and tracking info hasn't been updated since the 12th. The rep told me they never received the package, just the billing information. So I call up apple (first time dealing with their customer service). After being transfered 3 times (in about 5 minutes) I ask for a supervisor and wait another 5 or 10 minutes as the rep fills out some form. I get in contact with a supervisor and he tells me I have to wait 3 business days (aka wait until sept 28th) and if I didn't have it by then I should contact him and at soonest i'll get it by Sept 30th which is nearly 2 weeks after I ordered it...

cliffs:
ordered first apple product ever (macbook pro) on the 11th

fedex expected delivery on 15th, Apple expected it 16th

16th comes and I still don't have it

Called fedex and they said they never received it from apple

called apple, got unsatisfactory customer service, and they said they can't check if it was shipped

All I can do now is wait until the 28th and call them again

VERY FRUSTRATED!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The machines are shipped directly from the factory. As I understand it, shipping dates have slipped from time to time since demand is very high for these models at the moment.

If you want the machine right away, cancel the order and go to an Apple Store or reseller. You'll be a lot happier that way.

OP
B
Reaction score
The machines are shipped directly from the factory. As I understand it, shipping dates have slipped from time to time since demand is very high for these models at the moment.

If you want the machine right away, cancel the order and go to an Apple Store or reseller. You'll be a lot happier that way.

I would have done that however the model I ordered was:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

I don't think that's sold in stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Also note, that since these products are in high demand they do tend to get stolen from shipping companies. On a personal note if I have to ship with fedex I always cancel my order or do not purchase through that company, they have "lost" so many of my packages within the day before it should be at my home or around that time period. What you should do is call fedex ask for their lost packages department or what ever it is called get a claim number give that to apple so they can process it and ship you a new one, and this time ask for UPS or some other company.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
deleted as it doesn't pertain to a refurb

OP
B
Reaction score
Also note, that since these products are in high demand they do tend to get stolen from shipping companies. On a personal note if I have to ship with fedex I always cancel my order or do not purchase through that company, they have "lost" so many of my packages within the day before it should be at my home or around that time period. What you should do is call fedex ask for their lost packages department or what ever it is called get a claim number give that to apple so they can process it and ship you a new one, and this time ask for UPS or some other company.

Apple told me we must wait at least 3 business days before considering anything as "lost". 3 business days is monday the 28th.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
How does 3 business days from Wednesday the 16th get to be Monday the 28th instead of Monday the 21st?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Apple told me we must wait at least 3 business days before considering anything as "lost". 3 business days is monday the 28th.
That is why you call fedex and get them started on the claim process so that why Apple will be dealing with them, I have been through this before with fedex you spend about 2 hours on the phone dealing with them and about 10 minutes with the company to hand over the claim id number. About 3 days latter fedex will call and say they can't find it and then say that this never happens.... By that time apple should have already have one sitting in your hot little hands. The biggest thing to remember is that is to remind the people NICELY that if this problem isn't solved within a fair amount of time that you will not give them repeat bussines and you will advise your family to do so as well. Although you will almost never have to go to that, because most companies already understand that and want to serve you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Someone doesn't know how to count/read the calendar... that's how. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
That is why you call fedex and get them started on the claim process so that why Apple will be dealing with them, I have been through this before with fedex you spend about 2 hours on the phone dealing with them and about 10 minutes with the company to hand over the claim id number. About 3 days latter fedex will call and say they can't find it and then say that this never happens.... By that time apple should have already have one sitting in your hot little hands. The biggest thing to remember is that is to remind the people NICELY that if this problem isn't solved within a fair amount of time that you will not give them repeat bussines and you will advise your family to do so as well. Although you will almost never have to go to that, because most companies already understand that and want to serve you.

If they said they never received the package then I don't think they would let me open up a "lost package" report but i'll try anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
So let me get this straight, you are totally upset with apple because it didn't arrive the exact day it was supposed to? Wow. I predict a lot of disappointment in your life, considering this has to be the first time you've ever dealt with the postal system.

Deep breaths.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
I ordered a refurb mac mini on the 11th also. I got it on the 15th. What does the tracking info say? Does it say departed fedex location. Or just billing info recieved. Remember if it has departed ( mine came from tennessee) they ship fedex ground and you won't get any more tracking info until it reaches your local fedex depot. Seems like your worrying a little to soon. Go by tracking, not expected delivery.

Also I noticed you said you were at work. They will not deliver without a signature. I left a note on the door authorizing delivery. Maybe they tried to deliver it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"OP"...you have to remember most of this "problem" is with Fed Ex...NOT Apple.

Once Apple ships the package...they can't control what Fed Ex does with it.

And to give some support to Fed Ex...they deliver millions & millions of packages. And occasionally a package will get "lost"...nobody's perfect!

Unfortunately...in this case, it happens to be your computer...but don't blame Apple!!!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
That sucks... I actually had a terrific time with shipping via fed ex. Apple estimated June 26th and it came actually June 22nd! It came EARLY! ***? When does that happen? I was so excited.

Sorry to ruin ur parade with my story haha. But sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. I would call fedex like some of the others stated. And again you blaming apple would be like me selling you a baseball card and shipping it postal service, then it getting lost, and then you blaming me for it. Clearly it wasn't my fault but the postal services fault. So again, dont blame apple its out of their hands. Unless of course it didn't even leave the Apple warehouse.

Reaction score
I had a similar experience. I ordered something and it was shipped by USPS, and then they switched it to Fedex. Short story was it arrived a day early. Remember, the post office closes at 5-6pm, and Fedex/UPS/DHL close when the job is done. All are usually very reliable, but of course as six sigma states, you can never actually get 100% efficient, ex. losing packages, delivery schedules not met (for a number of reasons). Considering they do millions of packages everyday, I'd say they do a really good job.

Short answer. Check your information, read the print, see what the transit info says such as scanned at X point in route to destination. If it doesn't say anything, just billing info received, then it never actually was in the courier's possession. Don't panic and make other's lives unnecessarily stressful because you got excited and didn't follow through on your end and do your part.

OP
B
Reaction score
I ordered a refurb mac mini on the 11th also. I got it on the 15th. What does the tracking info say? Does it say departed fedex location. Or just billing info recieved. Remember if it has departed ( mine came from tennessee) they ship fedex ground and you won't get any more tracking info until it reaches your local fedex depot. Seems like your worrying a little to soon. Go by tracking, not expected delivery.

Also I noticed you said you were at work. They will not deliver without a signature. I left a note on the door authorizing delivery. Maybe they tried to deliver it.

The last activity was Sept 12th ("Shipment information sent to FedEx")

as far as them trying to deliver while i'm at work, that shouldn't be an issue. I live in an apartment building so if FedEx tried to deliver it the doorman would sign it, put it in a locked room, and then put a package slip in my mailbox.

As far as the people saying "Don't blame apple, blame fedex"

Why blame fedex at this point? They said they didn't get the package and apple said they have no idea whether it left the warehouse or not. How can they not have an inventory system that says "package B left the Apple warehouse at 12:30 on Sept 12th" or something like that.

Until Apple can actually confirm whether or not it left their warehouse (it's been nearly a week), the responsibility is theirs.

Update:

I called fedex to try and set up that "lost package" claim to help speed things up and they said they can't do this because they never actually received the package.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Why blame fedex at this point? They said they didn't get the package and apple said they have no idea whether it left the warehouse or not. How can they not have an inventory system that says "package B left the Apple warehouse at 12:30 on Sept 12th" or something like that.

Until Apple can actually confirm whether or not it left their warehouse (it's been nearly a week), the responsibility is theirs.

You're right!!! If Apple can't confirm that it left their warehouse, and Fed Ex said they didn't receive it...then Apple is still responsible!

I'm sure you will be absolutely pleased with your computer once you get it!:) It's possible that some "dingbat" Apple employee didn't do their job right!:( And I'm sure you know, all companies have "dingbat" employees!!!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Yes, it has not even left the warehouse. Until it says departed fedex facility x, it has not shipped. I guess you have to decide if its worth waiting for or not. either cancel or wait. Just keep checking your tracking, you'll know when its shipped. Also if I were you I would erase your tracking number from the post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Until Apple can actually confirm whether or not it left their warehouse (it's been nearly a week), the responsibility is theirs..

Something like that happened to me when I ordered my Xbox360. The company's record showed that it had shipped it but FedEx had no record of picking it up. After a few days it turned out that FedEx had missed a box when they were picking up the shipment the day my Xbox360 was supposed to go out. What had happened was that it was pushed behind something that made it out of sight for both FedEx and the company I ordered the Xbox360 from. So it wasn't an intentional mistake, just a random error.

My point is that it's possible FedEx really didn't pick up the package and that your computer is still sitting at the warehouse but they can't find it for some reason. Their system shows that the computer went out because it most likely is sitting in a shipping box somewhere near the gate where FedEx picks up packages but is completely out of sight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.