deleting back time machine backups

Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this. Since I have only been using a mac for about a month I figured the switcher hangout would be as good a place as any. I use a external hard drive for my tme machine backups and its getting pretty full. I got dialog box( sorry for the windows lingo) that said that the space available wasn't big enough the next back up. How do I tell time machine to delete the really old back ups so there will always be room on the drive.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Good question, and one I'd like to know as well. I really don't need to roll back my system several months. A few weeks of padding would be fine by me. There has to be some freeware out there for this.

Reaction score
Time Machine is set to delete old backups automatically if it cant fit the new one in.What I did was actually go back and delete most.I kept the last 2-3 backups since I have my EXHd partioned.But TM will do it if its set to auto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd just like a utility that says "Delete backups older than x weeks/days". Something automated like that would be nice.

Reaction score
It has the option
"delete when full"..I think thats fine.Once its full it deletes the older first...Cant get to complicated lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.