• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Touch

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has ever seen this Mac (not in real life)... I think it looks great!!

BTW, it's probably just on somebody's drawingboard, and not in- or soon to be produced.

Mac_Touch_by_technominds.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
It would never sell because the screen cant tilt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
A touch screen computer such as this is more or less useless for general home use. Imaging trying to type a letter to Aunt Sally or enter the url of a web site. Even WITH a touch screen keyboard, it would be a PITA.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of a nice footstool...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Nah, Door wedge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sort of a Modbook on a angle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
PMed you but all good. Surgeon happy with it .. Still groggy from great meds.. High i am but feeling good

Cheers thanks for the concern dude

:)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
PMed you but all good. Surgeon happy with it .. Still groggy from great meds.. High i am but feeling good

Cheers thanks for the concern dude

:)
Good to hear you're doing well considering. :)

As for the thread topic, I really hope that this fad with touch screen computing (aside from phones) ceases. From my perspective, the way notebooks and desktops are constructed now is more than adequate and while I'm sure there could be improvements, touch screen technology sure doesn't solve them. No technology is perfect but touch screen Macs aren't going to fix the imperfections of current computing paradigms.

This is by no means limited to just Macs. For those who wish something like this will happen, what do you make of the "success" of touch screen computers to date (ie. tablets)? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 250GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
I think it would be a neat concept for like a video conferencing phone or something of that sort... Maybe something for a futuristic classroom?? I duno just throwing that out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I can imagine it would be quite useful as a POS (staff or customer used) but not as a home computer. Possibly an information booth in a museum or something... but I can't see Apple making specific products for such a niche market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I think that is a really great design. (unlike everyone else here :) ). But not designed for home use. When I go out I always have to use touch screens for various things. To buy a train ticket. At the ATM. At some self service checkouts and the list goes on. And they all have a windows OS running them all.

I don't know if it's just bad programmers running them all or just windows glitches but almost every day I see at least one of these screens out of action with some windows error on them. Yeah even the odd BSOD.

I think the government/banks/whoever uses touchscreens out there should invest in OS X and do it properly. Then they'd never be out of action

I'm not 100% sure that design (real or be it photoshopped) would work. But a modification of it might work. Not for the home, but for the government/business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Of course its photophopped. It's probably one of those contests engadget or gizmodo put on. "Show us what your touch screen Mac would look like."

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It sort of reminds of a kids game/toy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually I think that is a really great design. (unlike everyone else here :) ). But not designed for home use. When I go out I always have to use touch screens for various things. To buy a train ticket. At the ATM. At some self service checkouts and the list goes on. And they all have a windows OS running them all.

I don't know if it's just bad programmers running them all or just windows glitches but almost every day I see at least one of these screens out of action with some windows error on them. Yeah even the odd BSOD.

I think the government/banks/whoever uses touchscreens out there should invest in OS X and do it properly. Then they'd never be out of action

I'm not 100% sure that design (real or be it photoshopped) would work. But a modification of it might work. Not for the home, but for the government/business.

If stability is your concern then Linux would be a better option as it would work on current hardware and is very scalable.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If stability is your concern then Linux would be a better option as it would work on current hardware and is very scalable.
I was going to mention Linux but you beat me to the punch. It works with existing hardware and it's incredibly stable (especially if you run a distro focused on stability like the stable branch of Debian).

The other major problem with something like this is price. Apple would likely charge much more money for this than could be justified given the cheaper and just as effective alternatives.

Reaction score
Weather it is practical or not I guarantee it would sell massive amounts of units. Now a days the average consumer could care less about practicality they are more concerned with the newest and greatest (the Hp touch smart for instance). A key board would more than likely be included just like the touch smart as well. And Macs being as trendy as they are people would be lining up to purchase this.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now a days the average consumer could care less about practicality they are more concerned with the newest and greatest (the Hp touch smart for instance).
How do you figure this? Especially during tough financial times like now, flash isn't going to win over practicality. Take for instance netbooks. They are probably the least flashy devices on the market yet they are selling really well because for most, they are extremely practical. Most people are amazed by flash but on the same token, most are deterred if they see an irrational price tag.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
I do beg to differ just a tad...
The main reason why I started using Mac was because the look so slick.
I had an iBook 14"/933/256/40 as my first one, and I was in love.

Now, wel now it's a different story.
Just tonight... I started up windows in bootcamp, and it didn't...

Why? I'll never know... but I do know I shutdown in a normal matter.
Only 6 yrs, but in those 6 yrs I've never experienced this with my Apple's.

That's gotta stand for something.
Nowadays (for me) the fact that they look great is just something that comes with it.

I don't know how it is overthere but down here a Mac is still a symbol of status.

Wich is the same with BMW cars in America, here everybody has one;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think if Apple can come out with something even slightly better than the Archos 9 Tablet with OXS under the good, it'll be a success. And I'm sure whatever they come up with will be a lot better.

I could see myself using a Mac tablet a lot. It would be nice to have with the extensive amount of traveling I do: nice and light instead of carrying 2 computers, good for movies on the plane, and maybe a small BT keyboard for use on the road.

It would also be nice to use around the house. I'm the multi-tasking type when it comes to doing things like surfing the web and watching TV at the same time. Normally I'm tied to my desk and watching my little TV. I'd love a tablet to use while lounging on my couch and watching my big screen. For that it just seems like my MBP is too big and my iPhone is too small.

I just want it all, darn it! :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.