• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie 09 won't export to 'HD'

Reaction score
I have recently exported a movie to 'HD' from the 'share' and 'export movie' options in imovie09. However I was not completely satisfied as although it looks great on my display a couple of transitions have not rendered very well and have distorted a bit. I therefore thought I would delete the rendered movie and export again to see if it would be better the second time around. So I deleted the movie and started another import. However, although it started the process by saying 'exporting movie' it never got onto the stage where you get a bar and it counts down the time remaining. Instead, after about thirty seconds it just stopped with no message. When I then went onto my hard drive my old movie had reappeared in it's old location even though I had deleted it and emptied the trash. I then looked at the project in imovie and could see the 'HD' symbol to the left of it highlighted. I am assuming that because this is there it will not let you do another export as 'HD'.

I would appreciate it if anyone could explain this and let me know of a workaround.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, I can assure you that once you empty the trash, the files have been removed.

What occurred was that iMovie keeps hidden copies of exports within the project. When you went to re-export it, iMovie noticed that identical request and used that hidden file. That is why the export seemed so fast. Alter the project in some way, and the export will take a while.

That 'HD' symbol lets you know you have done an HD export and iM09 knows this because of that hidden file. It does not stop you from doing another one.

Play that second exported movie. I expect it will be in Hi-Def.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. You are of course spot on. As soon as I changed the project I was able to re-render.

It's always the simplest things - I would have puzzled over that for ages.

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.