What is the best kind of external hard drive to use with Final Cut?

Reaction score
I finally got Final Cut Studio, and I'm stoked to start using it! I've been told that it is best to assign my scratch disc to an external hard drive. Thinking about this, I have 4 options. Any thoughts?

1- Use a hard drive I have. I already own two 1TB Seagate free agent drives. This one: Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive ST310005FDA1E1-RK: Electronics

2 - Buy a G-tech hard drive. Someone told me they are especially good for software like Final Cut

3 - Construct my own external by purchasing separately a frame and then some memory. I've never done this before, but I've read it's not too hard.

4 - Perhaps investing in a Drobo so that, thinking forward, I can have a way to save the video I take.

One additional is that I'll be working with HD and that takes up a lot of memory. It's that detail that has me thinking of investing in a Drobo.

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.