Problem installing WinXP in Bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
Hey all,

I'm trying to install Windows XP SP2 on a Mac mini that has a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I get thru bootcamp assistant, partitioning the drive (FAT32), and starting to load the files. When the first reboot takes effect, it says:

Disk error
press any key to restart

I've watched it twice, the load gets all the way to 100% just fine and the reboot happens. When I press a key, nothing happens. I have to shut off the mini. If I hold down Alt, I have 3 choices, OSX, windows, or the CD. Selecting windows gives me the same results. Selecting the CD starts the install again.

Any ideas? I've tried it twice, reloaded SL, and tried yet again. I've used two different partition sizes. I know my disk is good, because I installed XP under VMware Fusion and it worked just fine.

The mini is a 2 GHZ intel core 2 duo with 2 GBs of ram.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Will

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of XP SP2 disk do you have? Fusion is not near as fussy as Boot Camp is about the version of XP SP2 being installed. Is it a genuine MS boxed full install copy of XP SP2 or a System Builder's full install copy of XP SP2?

If it's one of the above, it may be that the disk has a scratch or bad spot on it and is giving you a disk error. You can try cleaning the disk or burning a copy of it to see if that will work.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod
NTFS, then download SP3

Reaction score
That's not the issue - chscag has it right. This sounds like an error from using a version of Windows that's not consistent with the boot camp requirements. if you used a manufacturer's disc, upgrade disk, XP SP1 disk or volume-licensed disk (or a scratched disk or pirated version), it won't work. You must use either a full retail version or a "system builder OEM" version.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.