New Beatles Remasters and iTunes Bit Rate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi All, I have just purchased three of the newly issued Beatles remastered albums (Magical Mystery Tour, White Album and Let It Be). Given the incredible care that went into producing these (I read one review where the reviewer likened it to the care that went into translating the Dead Sea Scrolls!) I decided to up the bit rate for the import to iTunes highest rate, 320 kbps. I am not sure if it will make any difference; I will report back after I have listened to both the original CDs and the ripped versions, as played back through my iTouch.

Has anyone else done something like this? Did you find it to be of value in terms of the resulting sound quality?

Reaction score
I ripped the first time on Apple lossless, then determined that I was unable to tell the difference between the lossless versions and 256 VBR. Not sure if I'm just not a discerning listener or if my audio equipment just doesn't cut the mustard. I stayed at the lower bitrate as the file sizes were about one-third the size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Iphone 3G 16GB
It all depends on the equipment u use to listen and how trained/good your ears are.

Needless to say that listening to loss-less music on your macbook's internal speakers doesn't make sense. With a good headphone you should be able to hear a difference, but don't expect to hear something completely different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In the past I have played with different bit rates for ripped CDs. The higher the bit rate, the more likely you are to here subtle differences, even via an iPod.

You paid good money for those remastered albums. Why not listen to them in the best quality you can, lossless, or at minimum, 320kbps ACC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.