upgraded membership

Reaction score
Is there a way to pay for an upgraded mac-forums membership without joining PayPal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You don't have to sign up for a paypal account, there should be an option to pay without joining on the landing page.

OP
M
Reaction score
It looks that way until you get to the attached screen shot. I don't see any way around it.

paypal.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I have the option to pay without a PayPal account. What country do you happen to be in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Sorry, upon further review I've noticed my link would not have helped.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
20091014-t5bqmeibii4igkrd2st5wnacrd.jpg

Follow the red arrows. >_<"

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, but like I said before, I never get to that point. I get a form that requires I enter a Paypal password and login. I've attached a set of screenshots that show the sequence:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you tried clearing your cookies and stuff? Using a different browser? I don't have a paypal account either.

Not sure why you are getting directed to that page.

OP
M
Reaction score
ImageX:
Thanks for all your effort. Unfortunately your step 4 is where we diverge. What I get in step 4 is a form that asks for pwd/user name. I'll try one more time to post that screenshot.

Screen shot 2009-10-14 at 9.22.30 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Is there a way to pay for an upgraded mac-forums membership without joining PayPal?
No.
You cannot do so without signing up for PayPal.

It is clearly stated as such on the PayPal registration/payment page.
paypal.gif

The second option only exists for those who don't already have a account set up with PayPal.
PayPal uses funding from either a credit card or a bank account, which is why those two options are listed.

The account is required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Sorry, I missed that text about needing to sign up for an account. I was rushing through it just to get the screen shots lol. I would just sign up for a PayPal account. I have one and it comes in handy every now and then. Good luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is there a financial benefit to a merchant, M-F in this case, to require a customer to sign up for a Paypal account in order to make a purchase?

I've dealt with other merchants who use PayPal and I don't recall any requiring me to join Paypal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Is there a financial benefit to a merchant, M-F in this case, to require a customer to sign up for a Paypal account in order to make a purchase?

I've dealt with other merchants who use PayPal and I don't recall any requiring me to join Paypal.

Most likely not.

This is a fee that is charged yearly though so that may be the reason why a PayPal account is required. If it was a one time purchase then it would probably be different.

OP
M
Reaction score
Most likely not.

This is a fee that is charged yearly though so that may be the reason why a PayPal account is required. If it was a one time purchase then it would probably be different.
Thanks, that makes sense.

OP
M
Reaction score
Can we have an option to pay one year at a time?

This would address the PayPal issue and also may help folks who don't want to commit to a subscription.

Reaction score
You can cancel this commitment, whenever you want to.
And may I ask why you don't want to setup a PayPal account...

I was hesitating too at first, but it's really easy to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.