usb stick not recognized in single user mode

Reaction score
Hi!
The title pretty much says it all: When booted in single user mode, I can't get my machine to recognize the USB drive. Here's what I did:
1. inserted usb stick (memorex 4GB traveldrive, msdos filesystem)
2. booted in single user mode (cmd+s after powering on)
3. mount -uw /
3. looked for usb device in /dev
4. ...it's not there! The USB drive shows up as /dev/disk1s1 after an ordinary boot, but in single user mode it's nowhere to be found. It's not just a name issue either: the list of devices that appear in /dev in single user mode is the same whether or not the USB stick is plugged in.

Even more confusingly, out of the 10(?) times I tried this it worked twice: /dev/disk1s1 actually appeared.
mkdir /mydirectory; mount -w -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /mydirectory
worked fine, and I was able to read/write from the stick as usual. I have no idea what I did differently those two times.

Does anybody know what's going on? I've got a MacBook2,1 running vanilla Leopard.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for your help :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem (though I still don't know what it was) solved. Latest firmware update makes the USB device appear consistently.

sorry for the double post, just making sure nobody wastes their time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.