bootcamp queries

Reaction score
i've got my new mac book pro on last week and i want to install windows xp on it,the only os where my personal softwares work.I like to kno few things before making the partition option in bootcamp.current hard disc space is 250 gb

if i give partition in boot camp with half memory dedicating to windows os(120 to mac and 120 to windows),can i use rest of windows os partitioned memory
(memory left after installing all the windows softwares) from mac os for saving my movies and songs

i need windows only for my personal softwares,so most of the time i vl b using mac os only

want to know after partition thru boot camp,vl my mac memory limited to 120 gb?

is it similar to dual os's working in windows laptops like vista on xp?

Reaction score
Your post is a little unclear, but if you're asking if you can store music from your mac on your windows partition,
the answer is yes.

You can always access your windows (Bootcamp) partition from your Mac, just not the other way around.
You're gonna need an app for that.

It's called MacDrive

You have I believe 10 days of trial time before you have to buy and register.

My advice is just to dedicate less to the Bootcamp partition, say 100 GB...

Hope this helps;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Your post is a little unclear, but if you're asking if you can store music from your mac on your windows partition,
the answer is yes.

You can always access your windows (Bootcamp) partition from your Mac, just not the other way around.
You're gonna need an app for that.

It's called MacDrive

You have I believe 10 days of trial time before you have to buy and register.

My advice is just to dedicate less to the Bootcamp partition, say 100 GB...

Hope this helps;D

This answer is spot on, just keep in mind that you can only READ from your Windows partition from your Mac side. If your Windows partition is over 32GB, you can no longer WRITE to your Windows side from your Mac side. This threw me for a loop the first time I installed bootcamp. I agree however, try to keep your bootcamp partition to a minimum (just as much as you need and maybe 5GB more for good measure). Take care!

Trent out

Reaction score
Thanks CS, you inadvertently helped me with that on too...:)

I was wondering why I couldn't write to bootcamp part. from my mac.
It was 50 GB's.

;D

OP
B
Reaction score
tons of thanks,gr8 responses friends,i m really really thankful for this.
can i alter the bootcamp memory once its done (increase 25 to 50 at a later time) ?

Reaction score
Remember, it's not "memory," it's space on your hard drive we're talking about. Two different things here.

I agree that you should not create too big a partition initially, certainly no more than 32 GB. If you find you need more space for the Windows stuff, it's probably best just to use an external drive at that point IMO.

And yes, you can resize the partitions later using CampTune from Paragon Software: CampTune for Mac OS X - Free Download | PARAGON Software Group - partition software, resize partition, disk backup & partitioning

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.