SL Clean install and Time Machine questions

Reaction score
First of all I love my Mac, but like some others, I'm also experiencing serious lags and temporary freeze ups since upgrading to Snow Leopard. So I want to see if a clean install will help (it's a 3 month old 15" 2,8 ghz MBP with 4 gig Ram and a 500gb HDD that's about half full).

I'm not interested in doing a complete system restore from Time Machine after the clean install (mostly because I don't want to recover any settings, or what ever else that may be making it drag... if that's possible), but I would like to be able to recover user accounts and mail settings etc. as well as importing all my pictures, videos and documents.

Is this possible?

If I connect the HDD that I'm using for Time Machine (WD My Book 500gb) and just click on the Time Machine icon that pops up on my desktop (as opposed to going into Time Machine through system settings) it appears that I can access my files like I would any other external HDD. If that's the case then it shouldn't be a problem dragging the files I want back to my Mac book... So I guess it's mostly the account settings I'm worried about loosing.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.