operating the CD/DVD drive in a Power Mac G5

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum (and new to Mac computers as well).

Having been a PC user for years and years, I decided it was high time to call it quits with Windows... and finally purchased a REAL computer. Now, I am looking forward to NOT dealing with the Program Freezes, Blue Screens of Death and countless Error Messages which had been so prevalent, when working with PCs.
;)

I purchased a second-hand Apple PowerMac G5 (1.6 GHZ) 150GB Hard Drive and 1GB of ram. It is running Mac OS X 10.4.3

I have a question regarding operating the CD/DVD drive, and how to access the data on a CD/DVD, please.

If I have data on a CD or DVD, I am used to clicking on the "My Computer" icon, and opening the disc from there. Again, please remember that I am coming from a stupid "Windows based" mentality.... so please be easy with me, thanks.
:Cool:

Okay, I have heard that a data CD or DVD should automatically pop-up on the Mac Desktop when it's inserted into the drive.... and it can be accessed from there. Not sure if that is true or not, but it certainly ain't happening for me.

So, how can I access a data CD/DVD on my G5? Can ya'll give me the "Mac equivalent" of clicking on the My Compter when working with a stupid Windows operating system, please?

Thanks so much for all the help,

Gary

:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, it should just pop up on your desktop. If it doesn't check the Finder Preferences (Finder menu => Preferences):

2009-09-11_1312.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Mhm. cwa107 is right, it's in Finder preferences.

It should also show up in your Finder's sidebar, under "Devices".

OP
G
Reaction score
Yep... That was it.

Looked under "Finder" and "Preferences" and checked "CD, DVD and IPod".... and there it is. I am very grateful for the speedy assistance.

I am 100% certain that I will be posting more Mac questions, and I really appreciate all the kind help.

Gary

PS.... I absolutely LOVE this G5 !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.