Is the basic macbook enough?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My wife's laptop (PC) just destroyed itself and we think it's time for a replacement. She likes both Mac and PC, but we are on a limited budget and want something that will last for a while.
She'll use the computer mostly for blogging, emailing, hulu (& netflix), and light picture/video editing. Will the basic ($999) macbook do the job for a couple years?
On paper, I can get a lot more for my money if I go the PC route, but I think we are ready for a change. However, if I need to spend more than 1000 to get a good mac, I think we'll probably have stick with dell or lenovo.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
MacBook will be enough. They're impressive little machines. Enjoy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You could spend less on a Windows box, but you won't be getting more. The quality of the Mac's construction and design, the incredible (U.S.-based) customer service, the suite of included programs which have no equivalent in Windows, the fact that you don't need to worry about viruses, defragging and cleaning out registries just to keep your computer running normally, the integration between apps, the ability to run Leopard AND Windows... don't let the price tag fool you. On paper you can "more" from a PC. In reality, you'll get more AND less (as in less headaches and bloatware) from a Macbook, as well as a piece of technology that you'll actually love to use.

The Apple Store also offers free short seminars on how to use your Mac and its apps as well as one on one training, personal shopping appointments, and the Genius bar for more complicated issues. Where can you go to really learn about your Windows box like that?

OP
J
Reaction score
So do you think the basic macbook is enough for what my wife wants to do? Or should I suck it up and spend a little more to upgrade it a bit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do any upgrades yourself, like buying extra ram or a bigger hard drive and installing them yourself

The macbooks are great, I am more than happy with mine

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That machine will do what you're looking for. My wife uses the model prior to that one with a much cheesier video card. And still plays all of her games etc. just fine.

If you're close to an Apple store, give 'em a call. Tell 'em you want to set up a personal shopper appointment. They'll give you an hour where you both can go in, play with it, ask questions, try a couple of hulu vids - if the hulu HD vids play fine you won't have any problem with Netflix. (Don't know if you can try Netflix in store since you have to install Silverlight to use it on a Mac.) Streaming videos with todays computers, typically are more about your connection than your equipment.

Ask them to give you a tour of the software included - iPhoto - the new iTunes, etc. ....

Man, I'm starting to sound like a fan boy... gotta stop now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Jack, that Macbook should suit your needs, but if by upgrade you mean the next version up, I'd say a 13 inch Macbook Pro is worth the couple extra hundred bucks for the LED screen and Multitouch trackpad alone. The aluminum body is also much sleeker and less toy-like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 White MacBook 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Snow Leopard V10.6.1; iPad 16g WiFi
I absolutely love mine. Right out of the box I could tell I would never go back to a windows machine for my personal computer. The entry level MacBook will do all those things and more. You won't be disappointed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife uses the model prior to that one with a much cheesier video card.

Mmmmm....CHEESY!!;)

smiling.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.