GArageband - cant hear monitor when guitar plugged in

Reaction score
I use a usb cable to plug directly into Garageband. It records the sound, but I cant hear the metronome or any other tracks that should play when I record or playback. But this only happens when the usb cable is plugged in. Also I use a snowball mic and that works perfectly, I can hear the playback and monitors. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard + iPhone 3G
Have you made sure the settings are set to let you hear playback?

For iLife '09, click control at the top and check metronome.

Also, (for a real instrument) look on the left and make sure monitor is turned on OR (for guitar) click the amp once and make sure monitor is on.

Hope that helps.

OP
B
Reaction score
Are you using a USB recording interface?

Pardon my ignorance, but Im nor sure what you mean. I have a 1/4" jack in mu guitar, and the other end is a USB plug (it came that way), which then goes into the computer

Have you made sure the settings are set to let you hear playback?

For iLife '09, click control at the top and check metronome.

Also, (for a real instrument) look on the left and make sure monitor is turned on OR (for guitar) click the amp once and make sure monitor is on.

Hope that helps

Yes I can hear playback every other time I use Garageband, even when the microphone is plugged in. The only time I cant hear it is when the guitar's USB cable is plugged in.

I have tried adjusting settings in the system preferences, and making sure the monitor button is set in Garageband.

Clarification: which amp are you referring to?

Thanks for the help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guitar's come with USB cables on them nowadays???

Guess I am behind the times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
No he has an inline USB interface, they are so small it's just a cord for the guitar with a small dongle on the line. It converts the guitar signal to USB and GB or whatever DAW sees it as a MIDI input.

Go to Applications>Utilities>MIDI

Make sure the system input is set to your USB Midi converter doodad, and the output is set to System out, some of those guitar recorders have their own headphone out, so make sure it's set to SYSTEM out, then you will hear out of the monitors like you do with your snoball. Which brand 1/4 to USB do you have?

Then, in Garageband, when you are recording, make sure you have monitoring set on, the control is somewhere near the bottom right hand corner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.