somebody help me please??

Z

zizaro

Hi, I'm sorry but I'm completely new in this computer and Apple stuff. I wanted to buy a LAPTOP and I think I will buy a MAC, everyone says they're better... first of all, is the G5 coming on LAPTOP?? Is it gonna do it relatively soon?? Is it gonna be worthy?? Another thing... what is that thing about the Panther?? Is that a software?? What dois it do?? Thank for helping me and excuse my ignorance... If I buy a G4 I'll add the the most powerfull RAM and Hard drive that it can take, so... will be worthy and much faster the G5???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
zizaro said:
Hi, I'm sorry but I'm completely new in this computer and Apple stuff. I wanted to buy a LAPTOP and I think I will buy a MAC, everyone says they're better... first of all, is the G5 coming on LAPTOP?? Is it gonna do it relatively soon?? Is it gonna be worthy?? Another thing... what is that thing about the Panther?? Is that a software?? What dois it do?? Thank for helping me and excuse my ignorance...

The PowerBook was just updated, so don't expect a G5 anytime soon. As for Panther, it will be Apple's latest operating system. It will do what any operating system does, and is simply meant as an update/upgrade of the current Jaguar OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
THREAD MOVED ... this might be a more helpful place

the G5 laptop is being worked on jobs said during an interview. so maybe in 1-2yrs. All current models of apples are excellent computers. definitely worth every cent

Panther is the latest update to the mac operating system, OS X. if you buy a mac anytime soon youll most likely get it for free

OP
Z

zizaro

thanks

OK. Thanks. I'll buy a 17'' inches probably... I's studying film and all that, so it will be worthy. Thanks guys

OP
Z

Zachary

If you are going into film there is nothing better. But max out the RAM if at all possible.

OP
Z

zizaro

I will

I was gonna have the highest RAM, but i though that could be slow compare to the lowest G5... should I wait?? How much difference is gonna be in price and speed?

OP
S

shadov

512 M should be enough...

Warning! I'm not a mac expert (never used one). But I know something about computers.

The thing is I have never seen a desktop system (PC) running common applications (office, browser, games, multimedia..) using over 500 M of RAM. I would be surprised if macs were different.

Upgrading from 512 M to 1024 M won't make it run any faster unles you are running a server or some really special software. I'm not sure about that 'film' thing -- heavy video editing might eat _a_lot_ of RAM.

Unles you really have too much money I'd suggest you to first get 512 M. If it isn't enough you can buy another 512 M cheaper from third party vendor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
while 512mb is plenty of RAM, having more actually does help. in contrast to a PC, the Mac OS works differently, and you can see a difference in the amount of RAM used. especially when doubling it. You wont notice a difference when using simple tasks, but when rendering video or any other high process task, it is nice to have that extra memory so you can continue working without delays

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.