I'm feeling creative but don't know what to use....

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been getting back into listening to a lot of house music and would really like to look at creating some of my own. Basics to start with obviously.

What kind of software could people recommend to help me start to make some basic loops and tracks? Will I require any additional hardware (I've been looking at Akai Drum Machines) or can software do this for me?

I'm using a Macbook by the way, not a Pro (not sure if it makes any difference to start with.)

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Rob.

OP
B
Reaction score
Looks nice that.

Is it easy to use for a beginner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
Yes Rob, I think it combines ease of use with loads of features at a great pack!

You will still need to do your reasearch on how to use it but trust me it worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Yes, hands down, Reason is the way to go. You could go for one of these smaller programs like GarageBand or FruityLoops, but when you eventually look into creating some proper music you're going to end up using Reason anyway, so you may as well learn how to use it now :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Iphone 3G 16GB
You might want to consider a midi keyboard. That works a bit easier then the normal keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Another vote for Reason... It's like having a digital rack of sweet gear on your computer.

You can flip to the backside and re-arrange the "cables" too. Pretty cool interface. I used it for a while when I needed samples, but I'm more into audio engineering.

Garageband surprisingly has some cool loops (and you can find more on the Net), that you can use to make some catchy electronic beats with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano
Yes Reason would be good but it is not easy to use it does take a while to learn. Also a good idea would be to get into Live cause its a great program to use for rewire purposes and vsts because reason cannot use vsts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.