Mac can't read my slipstreamed XP Sp2 cd!

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm having a issue that has been bugging for SO LONG TODAY! Alright, so I slipstream Service pack 2 onto a windows xp service pack 1. Finally when I put it into my mac, the mac says that the CD is just a blank CD. But when I put it into my windows PC, it says that it's a windows XP install CD.

So for some reason my mac thinks that the CD is just a blank disk! I can't figure out why! I tried like 3 Cd's. 2 CD-R's, and one CD-RW!

Now one thing that I was very confused about was that when I'm reading the tutorials how to slipstream, they all have a folder called "Cmpnents". My windows XP sp1 disc doesn't have that but instead has a folder called "DOTNETFX". So, maybe that's the problem? My CD is from the original XP home edition, etc. So idk why it doesn't have that folder!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't mess with any of those methods to slipstream. Chances are your slipstreaming produced "duds" (disks that won't boot or are prepared wrong).

What I suggest is to use "Autostreamer" a free Windows program that will do the slipstreaming for you. I've used this program numerous times and it has always produced a good copy. Note, however, that you must have an eligible copy of Windows to begin with. So make sure that your copy of XP SP 1 will meet the Boot Camp requirements when SP 2 is added to it.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with chscag completely. Way back I had a XP SP1 CD that was not tied to any machine and tried many Slipstream methods. Only one worked and made a totally bootable and useable SP2 CD. It's been so long I forget now but I had to use a very old copy of Nero as the newer versions did not have the boot options needed.

Try what Chacag suggested as it should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.