How can I use internal AND the external speakers simultaneously

E

eddy-pizzle

I have the current iMac which has the standard built in speakers and also some old Dell speakers. The iMac speakers are fairly clear and can produce a decent volume, although they don't have much of a bass range. So if I'm playing music louder, I use the old PC speakers as they have a bass woofer but don't have a clear treble range. So if i combine the powers, it'll be like a scene from power rangers! And I'll be a very happy man...

I have trawled the internet several times to find a solution to this and have been really surprised to find nothing.. and no-one else having the same dilemma.

I have faith in you people. Make me proud! ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You've found nothing, because you can't use both the internal and external simultaneously.

Most receivers have an 'A' 'B' switch to run multiple sets of speakers so that you can switch from one to the other or both sets. There is no 'A' 'B' switch on your Mac.

edit: On second thought, I guess there is. But it's built into the port to auto switch between internal and external speakers. There is no combo switch. It is similar to the headphone jack on many receivers. Once you plug in a set of headphones, it cuts the speakers. You want speakers, you have to unplug the headset.

OP
E

eddy-pizzle

How can I use internal AND the external speakers SIMULTANEOUSLY ?

I have the current iMac which has the standard built in speakers and also some old PC speakers. The iMac speakers are fairly clear and can produce a decent volume, although they don't have much of a bass range. So if I'm playing music louder, I use the old PC speakers as they have a bass woofer but don't have a clear treble range. So if i combine the powers, it'll be like a scene from power rangers! And I'll be a very happy man... :)

I have trawled the internet several times to find a solution to this and have been really surprised to find nothing.. and no-one else having the same dilemma.

I have faith in you people. Make me proud! ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads and moved to a more appropriate forum.

OP
E

eddy-pizzle

yeah sorry, i realised that after posting although i didn't know how to move/remove it...

Yeah this occured to me as the external speakers are on a standard mini jack. Just wondered if there was a way of overriding... Maybe i should just buy some decent desktop speakers!!

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers, Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
the external speakers are on a standard mini jack. Just wondered if there was a way of overriding.

Yes, there is, if you're good at:
1) partly dismantling your iMac,
2) understanding the audio wire polarity, and
3) soldering.

You can 'patch' an audio socket via a length of two-core wire through the iMac casing and soldered to the internal audio socket terminals.

But do you really want to do that? Just how well the iMac amplifier would drive an extra set of speakers remains the great unknown, but I suspect you would be disappointed with the result. I suggest you live with the either/or scenario, or go with just external audio (better quality).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stand corrected.

(lol - I'm just not geeky enough for that workaround)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.