How long are you a switcher for ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As the title say's ....

How long are you a switcher for ?
I mean when i have moved around from one place to the other, you arent really what you can call yourself a local, until you have been in the place for 10yrs or more. Australian country towns that is.

So is there a time limit on how long you are a switcher, put there by the long term Mac users or do you in your own little world one day wake up and say " well i know enough about my system now to not being a switcher"..

Just curious to see how people see themselves and there Mac.
Personally for me i think it will be still some time before i can wake up and say
"I know enough" :)
I am learning so much from this forum and am looking forward to being a user with answers and not questions..

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think it's subjective. Some people go over that hump from Mac switcher to Mac user sooner than others.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I mean when i have moved around from one place to the other, you arent really what you can call yourself a local, until you have been in the place for 10yrs or more. Australian country towns that is.

So is there a time limit on how long you are a switcher, put there by the long term Mac users or do you in your own little world one day wake up and say " well i know enough about my system now to not being a switcher"..

I think that if someone has spent $1000-$1500 dollars or more towards a new computer...that seems to be a pretty big commitment in my mind. So I would consider someone a switcher if they've made the choice to purchase a Mac computer.

If they decide at some point after purchasing the computer (whether it's 1 month, 6 months, or a year, etc.) to sell the computer & go back to Windows exclusively...if they sell the computer or just stick it in a closet somewhere...the I would say they are no longer a switcher, since they are not an ongoing user.

Of course it also depends on how you define "switcher"...are they considered:

- someone who was a 100% Windows user, and is now a 100% Mac user?
- or someone who was formerly a 100% Windows user, but now someone who use's both OS's from time to time depending on their needs?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Since 2006 (same time i registered more or less)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm not necessarily a switcher, since I just added a Mac Mini in January to my collection of computers..:) I predominantly use Linux and Mac at home..

Regards

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't call myself a 'switcher' as I think the term is a misnomer. It might have been true of people at one time, when owning more than one computer was unheard of. But these days, I'd be surprised if most Mac users didn't have more than one computer, the second one being a Windows machine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess maybe I was a switcher. Joined here the day I brought my first Mac home. Like cwa says though, couldn't really call me that now as my Win machines outnumber my Macs.

Reaction score
It's been a little over 2 years since I bought my 13" MacBook. Can't say I'm a "switcher" in that I have Windows XP installed (using Boot Camp) and OS X. (I help other people with their Windows computers, and need XP for that purpose.) I also have a Vista desktop that I built for business software that is not available in OS X (UDA Construction Suite. If it was up to me, I would not buy Windows Only software.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
I have been using both Apple and non Apple computers since Apple IIc I don't remember what year that was, but it has to be in the mid 80's. so that makes it about 25 years or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
It's been almost a year since I bought my mac, I love it and can't wait to purchase my next one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
As the title say's ....

Personally - this is how I look at it - If you've switched from PC to Mac, you will always be a switcher (because of the obvious - you've switched from one platform to another). But by the shear fact that you are using a Mac, you are also a Mac user. There is nothing derogatory about it; it's just a manner of describing the process of going from one platform to another - just as if someone switched back - they'd be a switcher from Mac to PC, but at the same time they are then a PC user.

Now - on to comment about the "local" thing - in the two small towns I've lived in (one ~1500, and the one I'm in now, just under 4,000), if you've moved there, you're not a local - EVER. The only way to be a local is to be born there (and even then some people don't seem to consider them locals unless their parents were born there too). Larger cities are different as people don't take near as much notice of when someone new shows up or how long they've been there. I don't understand the mentality myself, but that is what I've experienced for myself, and other people who have moved to places that lived there longer than I.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Got my first Mac (PowerMac G5) in June 2008.

So that'd be 14 months! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like I mentioned earlier in this thread...I think that it depends on how you define "switcher":

- someone who was a 100% Windows user, and is now a 100% Mac user?
- someone who was a 100% Windows user, but now use's both OS's from time to time?

I think that if someone "was" a 100% Windows user, and now at least uses a Macintosh "part-time"...that in itself is switching...or partial-switching.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 2G RAM 160G HD
I was Converted to Macs when I took a job that use Macs for photo editing. I thought they looked like toys and was not thrilled when i was told "that's what we use, take it or leave it". I was amazed at the ease of use. Where are all of pop up windows that I did.not understand? where were all of the lockups I was so used to? my Conversion after that was easy everything seemed so intuitive. When I had free time i would just play around with the machine and fell in love with it's simplicity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
Since 2002 with a G4 Mirror Door!

Happy to find you by the way, its my first message!

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
March of 2005 was when I started with a G4 Mini. On my second Macbook since, and would say it was about three months that I realized that my Linux box had been gathering dust and since put into a closet that I realized 'yep, this is for me'.

Only time I use Windows I'm getting paid. Otherwise it's Mac all the way. Everything is Apple now, too. Bluetooth alum. keyboard/MMouse, iPod, even an iPhone!

Reaction score
I got my first iBook in December 2004 - wrote a review on it here! I've loved the Mac OSX since then and now I am running a MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (late 2008) but I do switch in between Windows and Mac since my work requires a lot of Windows applications, thank god for bootcamp. Applications for Mac and Snow Leopard are very enjoyable to use and it all makes sense. I also have my HP Dv2-1030 (netbook on steroids) to take when traveling since the MacBook is way too expensive to go on long trips.

Reaction score
I've been a mac-user now for 6 years, started with a newly bought iBook 933 MHz 256Mb, and about a year and a half later I bought myself a shiny iMac G5, the love of my life (back then).

I then found myself doing something I should never had done, I switched to Windows PC's.

It was a great gaming machine, then... 3.0 GHz Intel Dual Core E8400, with 4GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT.
Had that for 2 years and then went back to the iMac G5, secondhand.

I used that one for 2 months or so, then bought a MacBook 2.0 secondhand.

Had that for about 1 month and then I made the big plunge.

Cost me €1700,- but there it was... my MacBook Pro 15" Unibody:)

Besides my family of my wife and my 7 yr old daughter, I love it to death.

I see myself not as a switcher since a mac was my first computer (yes, never had a computer till 7 yrs ago), I just experienced a sort of lapse of reasoning...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Got my MacBook Pro (my first mac) in December 25th, 2008 :D. So about 8 months or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.