Slow opening apps

Reaction score
Hi... got my MacBook months ago and for the most part everything's great. One thing, though, it's always been a little irritating that the apps open very slowly. Garageband, iTunes, iPhoto, Pages, and others take 5-10 seconds to open... not a major ordeal but not the split second response I was used to in Windows. Is there a way to speed up launching apps, or is this just the way it is?

Reaction score
You can to:

System preferences > Dock > uncheck the box that says 'animate opening applications' if you are opening them from the dock. Sped things up for me a bit. Which macbook do you have, what are its specs compared to your PC.

OP
H
Reaction score
I have the 2.4 GHz aluminum MacBook with the stock 2GB ram. This should blow away the old 1.3 GHz Pentium 4 notebook with 750MB ram I was using. Maybe I'll upgrade my ram to 4GB and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I have the bounce animation on opening, and itunes takes about 1 second to open on my 2.4 w/ 2gig of ram on 10.6 (it was about the same amount of time on 10.5). It may take a little longer if you have a giant library. You can always try to verify your drive and check permissions to make sure nothing is incorrectly set that could cause system anomalies (both verify disk and check/fix permissions are in Disk Utility)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.