Help with DSL in 8.6

B

booster

Hey folks I'm a recent switcher with a hand me down grey g3 running 8.6. The trouble I am having is getting the computer to connect to the internet through my yahoo dsl connection. Does anybody know how I can get this configuration to work without upgrading the OS? any help would be appreciated.

Jason

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you use a router to connect to the DSL? Is this the only system you are using on the DSL?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
there should be a tcp/ip control panel, in it you should be able to select connection type and settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
In most cases, all you will need to do is open up the TCP/IP control and select "Ethernet" in the Connect via dropdown and then select "DHCP" in the Configure dropdown. That is all you really need to do...you may need to power-cycle the set up, but that is about it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
SBC DSL Has always used a PPPoE Client to connect with Username/Password. Unless you have one of the new SpeedStream modems that has I believe 5 lights, You will have to have a PPPoP Client to connect. SBC for sure and some other DSL providers are not like Cable where it's always there with DHCP. The new Speedstream modems they have been using here in Calif at least, have a built in PPPoE Dialer and you just connect with your browser usually to 192.168.0.1 or 1.1, forget which they use as I have the older modem, and put in your username and password. Check the manual that came with your SBC DSL.

In OS 8.6 you as was said above, go to the TCP/IP Control Panel under Control Panels and set it to Ethernet and DHCP. I do not think OS 8.6 has a PPPoE Dialer built in. OSX does.

Exactly what G3 do you have? Gray to means the G4's. The Tower G3s were either B&W or Beige. You said Gray so I am confused as to what system you have. If you have a fast enough G3 I would suggest trying OSX. It will work a LOT better on the Internet!

I hope nothing above confuses you. I have been using Macs on SBC DSL for years along with PC's but I use a router and it does the PPPoE connect for me.

OP
B

booster

I dont use any user or pass to connect my dsl service only if I want to only if I want to connect to the yahoo/sbc services like email and home page etc. I do use the speedsteam dsl modem so I pretty much just plug in to it and I can connect to the internet without ever having to install softare...
By the grey box, its more of a bone or beige...

as far as the upgrading I dont think thats much of an option at this point... I really want get familiar with the apple way before I make that investment... unless you have an alternative way we can talk through email... plus from what i've been told I can only upgrade to 10.2... which does not seem too available...

Thanks for your help. I hope you can help me get this online...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you ever get this figured out? Sorry, I have been very busy and forgot about this post!

If you have the Speedstream that has the PPPoE built in which is what is looks like you have, just go to TCP/IP and set it for Ethernet and DHCP and it should work. Let me know. I have a Mac all set up here with 8.6 working on SBC DSL in case you need more help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.