g4 won't boot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 400 boosted to 133mhz ,macbook3,1 2.2 Ghz, macbook 5,1 2.4Ghz
hey everybody
i'm a newbie and would like to say thanks for the cool site. now here is my delema. i have a g4/400 bumped to 133 mhz single, os 10.41. it worked fine until i accidently pulled the external firewire (while running) and now i can't boot up. not even from an external drive. i was in the process of doing some disk maintenance and was informed by disk utilities that my internal cd rom had some bad blocks. that is when the accident took place. now, when i try to start up the cpu it turns on, the apple screen appears, while the loading icon wheel spins for a couple of min. and then the computer shuts down completely. i've tried holding down the c button (during start-up) with the system install cd in the internal cd rom (didn't work) also tried with external usb drive (didn't work) it won't start-up on any of my emergency software either (norton utillies, techtool) what is my next step?
no cash for klunkers jokes please i really need help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a shot at resetting PRAM - link here for INtel - but it should lead u to PPC link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As u r posting you have access to another computer - if it is a Mac then start the G4 in Target mode and link to other with Firewire then do an archive and install onto the G4 HD

OP
charliemak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
collin Bl
thanks. i tried to zapp the pram to no avail. i'm going to try your other suggestion just as soon as i figure out how. i'm checking on that procedure now.
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Disconnecting Firewire has corrupted something. Boot from your Tiger disc by inserting disc, rebooting and hold down 'C' as soon as you hear the chimes. Go to Utilities in the men u bar, Select Disk Utility and run Repair Disc. Take it you are not using a silver/grey Tiger disc, but the black full install disc, as system restore discs are very much machine specific and will work only with the computer it came from. If all is well run Repair Permissions.

If she wont boot still , try holding down option and see if you can find the drive

OP
charliemak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
collin Bl
i attempted the target mode start of the G4 with my map book 2.2 ghz 4 GB
but it did not work. the g4 shut down like i described before.
thanks for the effort.
c

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have not used this but might be worth a try here

OP
charliemak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks collin Bl for the tip. i'm trying harryb2448 suggestion and so far so good. by holding down the option at startup i have the option as to which disk to startup on. it wouldnt start on my 10.5 so i'm waiting 4 a friend to bring a 10.4 disk over. i'd like to thank you both for the help. i'll let you know what happens.
c

OP
charliemak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 running but no internet

ok after the long weekend and lots of overtime at work i finally got back to my G4. it's up and running. i did it with diskwarrior. i recovered my files to another drive but i'm having a problem figuring where are the files located that allow me to use the internet. my airport icon is grayed out and i think if i put those files where there are supposed to be (where ever that is) then i could bring this whole thing to an end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.